cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less than a week to go...

Fixes: 123

Less than a week to go...

...before the old round £1 coin ceases to be legal tender on 16th October.

Before you rush out to spend them all banks will still be accepting the old coins for a while after that date.

Edit: Oops, forgot the link!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

27 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Less than a week to go...

I took £178 worth of those to the bank this morning after emptying my jar and they weren't happy about it for some reason. The look I got when placing through the gap in the glass was one of disdain. It was like they were having to count them all by hand.  

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Was that the unwashed pickle jar?Smiley

Fixes: 47

I have two £1 notes and apparently I can take those into a bank for exchange.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It appears that some machines including a few parking machines will not be converted by the deadline and can only accept the old coins.

Does that mean free parking if the machine cannot accept your money ?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Answer the problem by clogging the machine with 5 p bits. Fiddly damn things.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Well I've got one old one and I know it seems a bit strange, but I might keep it for sentimential reasons.
If it was a £50 note going out of circulation, my mind might be different Smiley

Actually I joked on the petrol thread about knowing your age on the old petrol prices. I do remember the £1 coin replacing the note. When I went to the U.S. in 1999/2000 I remember the $1 dollar notes (or bills), I remember having lots of notes in my wallet and it felt like I was loaded, though I wasn't. Roll eyes

I read somewhere the £20's will be changed next year and the £50 they don't intend to change.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

The vending machines where I work only accept the old £1 coins still, so we shall have to use smaller change now.

I still have a £1 note; I think it's the large long one before they shrunk it.

The £50 note had to be redesigned to make it more secure.  If you are going to forge currency, it might as well be the largest denomination note, although the €500 one is probably more attractive to forgers.

I'm not sure why our notes have to be redesigned so often; perhaps it is to stop people keeping their savings under the mattress.  The US notes don't seem to have changed much over my lifetime.

Community Veteran

But I think it is the other way around.
If you’re going to forge something do it with small demonitaions. Say a £1, £5 or £10. En masse those will attract less suspicion than a £50.
Pete11
Pro

I still have a white fiver (handed down from grandad) and a 10 shilling note that I kept when they went out of circulation. Cheesy

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.

Never heard anyone call it a ten shilling note - always knew it as a ten-bob noteUndecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Pete11
Pro

@Mav

Yes, you are correct about that..but.. for those living outside Yorkshire who don't know what a 'bob' was, I put shillings.  Thumbs Up

@Pete11

Never been to Yorkshire. Always been a suvernerWink

I used to think it was a cockney saying!

Fixes: 47

There was also the nine bob note but it only seem to be in the possession of people with a dubious character.

I never had one Angel

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

How do these people get their jobs: 11-year-old refused bus travel when trying to pay with a round pound coin.

She told The Stoke Sentinel : “The girl in front of me had an old £1 coin and the driver asked her to swap it which she did.

"I knew then that there might be a problem when I went to pay so I told him straightaway that I had the old £1 coin and he said ‘I'm sorry but we can’t take it’ and that I couldn’t go on the journey.

"He drove off with me at the bus stop."

She was 11 for crying out aloud... what has happened to common sense!