cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leslie Thomas Dies

Community Veteran

Leslie Thomas Dies

The author Leslie Thomas has died aged 83.
He was perhaps best known for his novel 'The Virgin Soldiers' but my favourite was 'Tropic of Ruislip' which was a classic.
A sad loss.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Leslie Thomas Dies

Yes very sad, have read many of his books, my personal favourite is The Magic Army. A great read and like many of his books fiction based on fact.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
PitchBlack
Grafter

Why must we keep on seeing these pointless threads about who has died, everybody here has the internet and I am pretty sure we all know who has died. Coming on this forum is like listening to your Grandma and Great Aunties,
oooh, you remember Gladys from number 30, well remember her brother, you know the one with the limp, well his wife died last week.
What you mean Bertha,
Yes That's it, Bertha.
Well we went to school with her cousin, you remember Frank, Frank with the funny eye,
Oh yes Frank, is he still alive
No, he died about 10 years ago.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: PitchBlack
Why must we keep on seeing these pointless threads about who has died, everybody here has the internet and I am pretty sure we all know who has died. Coming on this forum is like listening to your Grandma and Great Aunties,

You could probably say that about most threads as the subject matter can be found on the 'net somewhere.
I have reported on deaths and commented on other's reports when that person has had some meaning to me whether it's enjoying reading their books, watching their films, listening to their music or something else.
I see this as a way of sharing thoughts and reminiscing.
I don't have a problem with these types of posts Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Yes very sad, have read many of his books, my personal favourite is The Magic Army. A great read and like many of his books fiction based on fact.

That was so true about his books being fiction based on fact.
I saw an interview with him after he wrote Tropic of Ruislip . He maintained he got his ideas by sitting at his desk observing the people who lived with him on a housing estate in Hertfordshire. He made the novel so realistic that his neighbours recognised themselves and some were not too happy. So much so Thomas had to move from the area Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
I saw an interview with him after he wrote Tropic of Ruislip . He maintained he got his ideas by sitting at his desk observing the people who lived with him on a housing estate in Hertfordshire. He made the novel so realistic that his neighbours recognised themselves and some were not too happy. So much so Thomas had to move from the area Wink
The actual estate was " Carpenders Park" between Watford and Harrow and the road he lived in was called " On the Hill"  Smiley
He'd actually moved just prior to our buying a house in On the Hill,  in June 1969, and had lived just round the corner. Girl next door used to baby sit for him.
When they filmed the TV series it was in our cul-de-sac so we saw our house on tele each week. As I worked from home it was distracting but amusing.
Used to let a couple of the girls, on the crew, nip in and use our loo  Smiley
Community Veteran

Ah yes, Carpenters Park. Your memory is better than mine. Thank you.
nadger
Rising Star

We actually lived on Carpenders Park for 16 years.  Changed to Plummers Park in the book.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

In the late 1980s, while working at London Gatwick Airport,  I briefly met Leslie Thomas.
A very friendly, cheerful character who enjoyed a chat.
I had recently bought my father Thomas's book 'A World of Islands.' and my lasting regret is that I never asked for an autograph to go with the book.