cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Les miserables

mmorris85
Grafter

Les miserables

Going to see this this weekend Smiley have people seen it? What did you think? Smiley
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Les miserables

Fantastic.
We have seen the stage version twice and saw it at the pictures yesterday. I Found the film version easier to follow.
The acting is excellent and it would be hard to fault the film. As you may know everything is sung rather than spoken but most of what they sing is very emotional.
For me it's the film of the year, perhaps the best film for many years !
Be very surprised if you don't enjoy it. Smiley
Fixes: 104

I thought it was awful.
Will Moderate For Thanks
randpwar
Grafter

We were thinking of going to see this but as a general rule of thumb musical plays don’t convert to films too well.
&dvorak I don’t mean to try to turn you into a film critic but did you have specific things you couldn’t get on with with the film?  Acting?, settings?, dialogue?
mmorris85
Grafter

I was thinking that too randpwar but from reading reviews, some comments etc it seems they've done a good job Smiley
Community Veteran

In my opinion they have done an excellent job as many stage plays they have turned into films have been a disaster.
Also important to remember that all films, books etc are a matter of personal taste. What one person thinks is good others will think the opposite.
If you look at the majority of reviews and feedback from people who have actually seen it I would say the majority are very positive. 
Dvorak, sorry to hear you didn't like it.
Community Veteran

I have seen it on the London stage 3 times.  I saw the movie last week.  It is fantastic.  At the end of the show everybody clapped which is very unusual for a movie.
It is very intense due to excellent direction by Tom Hooper.  He decided to use actors that sing rather than singers that act and this added to the result.  Also unlike most musicals the singing is done 'live' rather than being dubbed afterwards which adds to the intensity.
It broke UK records for an opening weekend with 8.1m attendances. Well worth seeing Smiley Smiley
mmorris85
Grafter

I'm looking forward to it Smiley
Community Veteran

You'll enjoy it Smiley Smiley One word of warning, it's very long at 158 minutes but never gets boring.
Fixes: 104

Anyway, the movie started and Wolverine was singing his guts out. Then Catwoman started crying and singing too. It was all very moving.
The only problem was that the girl next to me who had apparently read the book or something, kept singing along, which was quite distracting.
So Wolverine was on the run from the Gladiator, because Catwoman had a baby at Borat's house, but then she wanted Wolverine to care for her.
Then other stuff happened and everyone died.
Seriously visually it was pleasing, but I just don't like the whole singing lines thing and Crowe really can't sing.
Will Moderate For Thanks
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Hate musicals with a passion, so no wont be seeing it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
many stage plays they have turned into films have been a disaster.

While realising that you said "in my opinion" in my opinion that's not entirely true; for instance; The King and I, My fair lady, The sound of music, Half a sixpence, Oklahoma, Seven brides for seven brothers, West side story not forgetting the brilliant Oliver could hardly be described as disasters. Although I agree about Moulin Rouge and Chicago. All began as stage productions.
I speak as someone who simply does not appreciate "the stage" in general, actors and actresses shouting at one another so they can be heard in the rearmost rows of the audience doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

There is a difference between the word "many" and the word "all" so you can't really be sure exactly which plays I am referring too !
I Might for instance think all the ones you list are good, so which do I think are bad well I'll leave you to guess  Wink
Community Veteran

Adding to Petlew's list I would say, A Chorus Line, Carousel, Funny Girl and Cabaret.  Also we should not forget the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles, I stand suitably advised.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.