Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legalisation of drug possession.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Legalisation of drug possession.

Well the way I see it is either the government take control over drugs, or the pushers and users - and we most certainly do not have any control neither are we ever going to have unless like alcohol and tobacoo the state grasps the nettle and legislates to legalise.

When has banning anything ever worked. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@wotsup 

But there have been some countries that have not made drugs illegal but turned a blind eye to their use, Amsterdam being but one place but like a few other things that have either been made legal such as prostitution or in the case of drugs no action taken against users the authorities are now clamping down on these things as they attract 'visitors' from other countries who wish to take advantage of the lax rules which in turn is causing a reduction in normal visitors due to the seedy reputation of the place.

In short the wrong people are attracted to the place.

Some American states have made cannabis legal but as you may know there are various types of cannabis and the strength of some is many times higher that the stuff smoked in the 1960's.Early days but will it still seem like a good idea in 5 or 10 years time, how many children will be bunking off school or adults losing jobs as a result of smoking the stuff, for example plenty of jobs you need to have your wits about you such as building sites etc.

Interesting article in todays DM about the number of mainly young people who have been arrested whilst driving under the influence of cannabis including one who killed 2 people whilst driving under the influence...even worse he did not even go to jail despite being guilty...Ref page 4 Daily Mail.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well could equally argue that it's because other countries have made them illegal that is the cause of Amsterdam's increased tourism. Disneyfying I think the call it, but also a problem for other places right across Europe albeit for different reasons.

Happy to take the money but not the crowds it seems, and I don't suppose the rise of the likes of AirBnB has helped either.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

And if you make drugs legal where will all these criminals go ?

They will not just disappear they will simply go into other types of crimes that get them easy money....people smuggling seems to be on the increase along with a number of other criminal enterprises.

Few people seem to understand or even care about the way things are going, what little power the government, police, courts have is rapidly been eroded, there are places in this country that some of us would not want to live and such places are imo on the increase, not that everyone living there are criminals but live in fear of gangs who take over the area, loan sharks etc.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

From what I can gather there is no other greater criminal activity or better way to make money than from drugs which turns over hundreds of billions a year, that's billion not millions, so I would suggest that any other crime other than money laundering which ironical is serving those drug barons, comes anywhere near it - apart perhaps from the arms trade - but that's legal even though it causes far more death and distress.

Not arguing for the sake of  it @gleneagles  as many myself included share your concerns, but in the absence of any nation States ability to control the drugs trade, what other solution is there?

£5 a gram of cocaine in Medellin assuming it's uncut will cost you a £100 in Manchester... or so I'm told. 

Hmm lets see, where can I make the most money?  

Have our own kids tried it you might ask to which I would answer probably, and I know for a fact that at least one of mine has - and you would never believe in a million years who first introduced it to them and were I to tell you, our resident 'lie detector/fake news' poster would chip in pronto.... so I'll not bother, but sufficient to say that I've been told once tried was more than enough - and that I have to believe.

It's much closer than we think and something needs to be done, and that's legalisation.

Fixes: 331

@gleneagles 

....people smuggling seems to be on the increase

Not if you keep killing your customers but sadly those living in persecution and fear for their lives will still consider the risk  and expense worthwhile.

Edit: Tag corrected.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

@Minivanman 

....people smuggling seems to be on the increase

"Not if you keep killing your customers but sadly those living in persecution and fear for their lives will still consider the risk  and expense worthwhile"

Not saying it's not, but where did I say "people smuggling seems to be on the increase" ?

As for fear and persecution, well I'm going to struggle with that one if as it turns out that those that dies so tragically in the back of that truck came as it seems from Vietnam.

@Minivanman I've corrected my post.

wotsup
Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

As for fear and persecution, well I'm going to struggle with that one if as it turns out that those that dies so tragically in the back of that truck came as it seems from Vietnam.

Not refugees any more,  but economic migrants,  not so much persecuted as looking for a more affluent life.... and able to afford the sums people smugglers demand.  David Cameron had the right idea about Syria,  take people from refugee camps and if anyone turns up by the people smuggler route send them straight back - we need to learn lessons from Australia who cut illegal immigration by 99% by taking a tough line and handling the cases in Papua NG, - hint - once the people are allowed on your soil and lawyers get involved you are stuffed...

Community Veteran

@Strat 

But what I do not understand is if people move for the reasons you mention why continue across a number of 'safe countries' to get here ?

If they consider the UK is the safest country they can get to they are sadly mistaken if press reports are accurate.

I heard someone say recently that we portray the UK as a safe, rich country full of opportunity and speaking what amounts to a universal language.

It may not be entirely so from our point of view but that doesn't change their perception.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

Back on topic (well, sort of) I watched this amusing little video linked by someone on the TBB forum ...

Highlighted
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Confession time.

As a kid I used to put insects on webs and watch spiders race down to wrap them up.

Much simpler pre drug possession times - and at least I was not sticking needles in my arm.