cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal reasons..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Legal reasons..

I think everyone has heard of Jeremy Forest recently who fled to France with a school girl and is now serving time with other paedos but this post isn't really about him.
What I don't understand is why the press are suddenly not allowed to name the girl or show a photo of her etc. Just months ago when the pair vanished, her name and photos were all over the media trying to get people to report the pair if seen (well thats how I remember it anyway).
Now correct me if I'm wrong but is the law actually making any sense here? - They're supposedly trying to protect a child that they've previously exposed themselves. I really don't see how they're doing her any favours at all?
This story has been so big that just typing his name into google with a space brings up the girls name without even hitting enter! Has the law lost the plot? How does banning the media from naming her when they've already previously named her, serve any purpose?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Legal reasons..

Seems entirely reasonable as is normal in such cases.
Before they were looking for her, now she needs to be left alone to sort her life out.
I for one definitely won't be googling for such information.
Blim
Grafter

The law does more damage than good in most cases regarding young people. Its really bad the way they deal with things like this. Once its over they wash there hands and walk away.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Seems entirely reasonable as is normal in such cases.

This isn't a normal case though is it. They've already blasted her name and photo all across the UK and probably europe too.
Before they were looking for her, now she needs to be left alone to sort her life out.

But she isn't being left alone. Thats the point. Look at the sun today:

She's already in the media giving her story away and no doubt the sun are being quoted in other papers too. If she wants / needs to be left alone, she's got a funny way of showing it.

I for one definitely won't be googling for such information.

You won't but how many others would? - I did it to see what came up and I didn't even need to hit enter before google's auto suggestion thing brought up the girls name which makes a mockery of the media ban anyway.
What is the law really trying to achieve? - Thats what I don't understand. Sure I would understand this had the girl never previously been named but when they have already blasted her details across every media medium they could find it's like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted to ban the media naming her now.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I Might be wrong but I seemed to recall that her mother appeared on Television and made an appeal for her to come home, following the trial the news reports said they could not show the mothers photographs for legal reasons.
There are many conflicts on what the law means and Lawyers attempt to put forward their definition of it, things are made worse by the EU as it constantly comes out with various new laws which may or may not conflict with our own and this only adds to the confusion.
Community Veteran

Wasn't one of the biggest conflicts in law that France originally wanted nothing to do with this.
As no law was broken as the girl was above their age of consent. Though there was the question of "person having authority over the victim".
Isn't this why he was charged with abduction?