cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal question

RichAllen
Grafter

Legal question

Is it possible to sue an individual poster on a website for defamation of character?
Some guy called Strange man reborn on www,wrestlezone,com has been posting unprovoked insults against me all week on various threads in their comments section.
I have tried not to insult him back, but there's only so much I can take.

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Legal question

Quote from: RichAllen
Is it possible to sue an individual poster on a website for defamation of character?
Some guy called Strange man reborn on www,wresteezibe,com

Even if I replace the , for . that site doesn't exist!
Anyway to answer your question, theoretically but you'd need to apply for a lot of court orders to force an ISP to disclose IP addresses and postal addresses.
Thats assuming your opponent is in the UK. Even then they could be using a public wifi hotspot so you could waste a lot of time and money and get nowhere.
If the forum supports it, just block that user (many do although this one doesn't).
There are a couple of members here that I used to have this problem with, anything I said would be slated. Thats stopped now and we're diplomatic towards each other so things can change given enough time.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shalom2010
Grafter

RichAllen
Grafter

No it's just in the comments section of various articles on wrestlezone.com, I'm banned from the forum till the end of January.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have tried not to insult him back, but there's only so much I can take.

Oh really,  I see that not insulting him back is going well !   Crazy,  
you would have no chance in court with these replies -

[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]WTF is your problem bitch?
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]Your Aunty Lillian is probably a Lesbian.
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]You are clearly retarded, GTFO.
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]Please die.
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]You are clearly a retarded moron and I have 3 things to say to you, GTFO, STFU and generally go over there and **** yourself.
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]What the actual **** is your problem? I get that you don't like me, and I don't give a toss, I think you are clearly retarded and need to go over there and **** yourself, but seriously insulting me over the Internet is NOT "cool"
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]Look you annoying piece of crap, let it go! I agree Tons of Funk both suck, they are fat, do 4 moves between them and have no mic skills, but this constantly insulting me has GOT to stop, or I WILL take legal action against you for defamation of character.
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]I call it as I see it mate, like I see that you are indeed completely ****ing retarded.
[quote=Rich Allen on WrestleZone]Hmm, not only are you clearly an idiot, you are also a hypocrite, you know that I could potentially sue the pants off you for defamation of character, but you went ahead and insulted me anyway?!
Community Veteran

Yikes, thats some shocking posting!
Good find purleigh.
He recently used the word 'ar$£' on this forum too.
EDIT: That also explains why he was rather coy about providing a working link to the site too - hiding his dirty little secret..  Shocked
RichAllen
Grafter

if I get banned for any of the above, so be it, this won't be the first or last forum I ever got banned from.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: 7up
He recently used the word 'ar$£' on this forum too.

Oh how terribly rude !  Grin

Maybe we should volunteer 'OldJim' or 'Strat' to go and moderate on that forum ?
and give them a rest from deleting my posts - which are insignificant compared with what's going on over there !  Shocked
RichAllen
Grafter

OK if the A word was "censored" fair enough, but it wasn't, I will edit it out of the post though.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The site is hosted in the USA, unlikely you can do much. Put it behind you and find another site.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RichAllen
Grafter

That's the problem, if he had said half as much as he did to me on a UK hosted site,  I would be quite within my rights to sue the knickers off him, but under US Law, the Yanks can say what they want and to heck with the consequences, more's the pity.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Or you could adopt the "This is the internet, don't take stuff so seriously" approach.
If you're prepared to give back what he gives to you, I don't see how you're "within your right" to do anything against him at all.
6 of one, half a dozen of the other, as my mum would say....
Community Veteran

if I get banned for any of the above, so be it, this won't be the first or last forum I ever got banned from.

And thats the problem. You don't give a hoots about other people as long as you get to offend the other person. Imagine how that would look to any judge if he just saw what you wrote that purleigh has shown us. Imagine what many folks here are probably thinking of you now!
OK if the A word was "censored" fair enough, but it wasn't, I will edit it out of the post though.

Fair enough but thats already formed my opinion of you you do realise that don't you? - I'm telling you what others won't. Others around here will hold it against you for years - trust me I know. I've been on this forum donkeys years and only now are some of the oldies starting to accept me. You've just given yourself a very steep uphill struggle on this forum.
Let me tell you something RA (and it's taken me years to work this out thanks to some screwed up parenting): If you have issues with someone, you don't go to all out war against them. You might ignore them for a while but then you get on with it and let it drop or at least be diplomatic towards each other. Going on a war crusade getting yourself banned from lots of forums isn't something to be proud of. It isn't an achievement and it doesn't make you look hard. What it does do is help people think you're trouble and one to avoid.
You need to calm down a bit and stop being aggressive to other people. Your trouble is that you clearly like aggression - otherwise you wouldn't be on the wrestling forums.
That's the problem, if he had said half as much as he did to me on a UK hosted site,  I would be quite within my rights to sue

Again if you could even find who the real person was and provide proof of it. For all you know the other person is using an internet cafe or living in a house of 12. You're living in cuckoo land if you think it would really be that easy. You clearly didn't take any notice of my previous post!
Community Veteran

You don't stand a cat in hells chance of successfully taking legal action even if you could afford it.
Get a life Angry
Fixes: 104

[me=dvorak]bans everyone.[/me]
Will Moderate For Thanks