cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal highes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Legal highes

Rather than add to the topic of vaping perhaps a more serious concern is the sale of legal highes to people of all ages, despite a number of deaths there are a number of shops selling these products under the guise of gardening or cleaning products.
What I cannot understand is why the government are so slow to take action on this as irrespective of party most mp's would surely support a ban.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Legal highes

But what are you going to ban?  If the products are genuinely used for household cleaning or gardening surely you can't ban them. Maybe there has to be more control over the sale to minors.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Someone needs further study into "legal highs"... Roll eyes
What "legal highs" are is an altered compound that is very close to and often having the same or worse effects as Class A drugs, they have nothing to do with cleaning or gardening products despite being sold as such, they're simply a concoction derived to make them just different enough that they don't come under the laws governing class A drugs, therefore they're "legal", but often they contain other bulking agents which can cause anything from a mild allergic reaction to, well, total death...
Anyone who consumes them is a fool frankly, they don't know what's in them nor do they know what effects they will have, AND, the people selling these advertise them as cleaning or gardening products, and actually advise on how to ingest them!! Still, at the end of the day, Evolution dictates who lives and who dies, because the smartest will survive, never mind the fittest, you can be as fit as an ox but dumber than a bag of wet mice and still die from taking these drugs... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'm sure gleneagles will expand on his comments so we can see what he means.
Community Veteran

I was referring to your lack of looking up what legal highs are, rather than them being cleaning products... Grin
Community Veteran

Fully aware what they are and I can tell you many of them are being looked at under the Misuse of Drugs Act. The present government has sensibly  already banned a number of these drugs and more are currently being investigated. An interesting piece that looks at the risks associated with this practice.
The risks of legal highs
Legal highs can carry serious health risks. The chemicals they contain have in most cases never been used in drugs for human consumption before. This means they haven't been tested to show that they are safe. Users can never be certain what they are taking and what the effects might be.
Other risks:
    You increase the risk to yourself if you combine alcohol with any legal or illegal substance that causes a high.
    Effects of legal highs can include reduced inhibitions, drowsiness, excited or paranoid states, coma, seizures and, in a few cases, death.
    Because the chemical ingredients in a branded product can be changed without you knowing, the risks are unpredictable.
    Even drugs that look similar or have similar names may be varying strengths and have different effects.
Fixes: 47

When they are sold openly they carry a 'Not to be used internally' label to circumvent some laws.
If the specific concoction  is made illegal then the formula is slightly altered and off they go again.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Fully aware what they are and I can tell you many of them are being looked at under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

And yet, you thought people were using them as cleaning products, before I pointed out what they actually are... Grin
Barn door, Horse bolted, etc.... Grin
Community Veteran

I perhaps don't have your first hand knowledge of the subject Grin
The present government were planning to amend the Misuse of Drugs Act to make it easier to ban substances as they are altered as outlined by Strat. Hopefully they will do this if reelected.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I perhaps don't have your first hand knowledge of the subject Grin

I look things up before I talk about things, it helps to have fact than hearsay and guesswork when debating things...  Wink
That and there's been news articles, a few TV programmes about them, and police reports aswell, so, it's hard to not know before chiming in on threads about them, well, for most I guess, there's always the few exceptions that make statements before researching the topic... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
it helps to have fact than hearsay and guesswork when debating things

But that takes the fun out of it when you are just chatting.
Community Veteran

Yeah, but chatting is usually about stuff and nonsense requiring no knowledge whatsoever, talking about a topic like this, it does help to know what it's about before making statements... Grin
Fixes: 125

I disagree. Some people may post without research others may post because they believe what they write is true. Either way it can open up the discussion further and more can be learnt by everyone and may encourage further research.
It certainly has for me on occasions Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

what they should be doing is leaving the products alone and arresting all the people selling or advertising them and then after giving them a good public flogging hang them from prominent buildings all over the country with big signs depicting their crime
then do the same thing to  those who are caught using said products and the problem will disappear in short order !
the best potting compound on the market for many years had a black cat on the packaging and was banned from sale because of this nonsense!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I struggle to understand why the Establishment want to ban cocaine which is just an additive to a popular soft drink. Also there's Methedrine used to treat mild depression which is on the no-no list.
Yet the same authorities allow people to buy a herb laden with toxin which has a lethal dose of 50 mg in the form of nicotine.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.