cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal film downloads

Tsonga
Grafter

Legal film downloads

It is now possible to download music legally, but how about films? Does anyone know of a reputable company that does that? I know lovefilm.com do to some extent, although I find their download manager impossible to install...
23 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Re: Legal film downloads

Are you talking about free downloads or to buy
Tsonga
Grafter

To buy, or rent. I don't believe it is possible to download movies legally for free.  Wink
holdtight
Grafter

Of course and i would never endorse downloading illegally  Wink
chino
Grafter

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: BlueRhizome
To buy, or rent. I don't believe it is possible to download movies legally for free.  Wink

It surely must be free - for limited cases.
e.g. How long does copyright last - surely some rubbish old silent films are available  Grin
The BBC has some excellent Sci-fi films/series from the 60's - do we wait (forever) until they re-show Quatermass, put it on iPlayer & add a load of DRM crud before we can download it, remove the DRM crud and burn it to DVD so that I can watch it on the TV?

Tsonga
Grafter

LOL! Grin
Looks like we are being actively encouraged to download illegally, for want of legal means!
In France, for instance, legal online film rental by reputable companies (including ISPs by the way) has been a fact of life for several years. Why can't we have the same thing here?
Tsonga
Grafter

Actually, here is another challenge for PlusNet, online video rentals!  Smiley
Have a look at this: http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u=http://2424video.orange.fr/app
You can download films for roughly £2. They last 24 hours. You can start watching them as soon as the download starts. Excellent when you don't live close to a video store or when it is dark and freezing outside! And cheaper too + the film you want is never out...
Community Veteran

It was something PN were considering some time back but it never got past the concept on paper stage as far as I remember.
nadger
Rising Star

Bandwidth usage would bother me.
Even if they allowed downloads in divx they'd be around 700Mb per go.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

DivX is OK if you don't mind a sub-VHS standard with occasional digital artefacts.
The conversion to DVD format is very time consuming.

Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
It was something PN were considering some time back but it never got past the concept on paper stage as far as I remember.

I wonder why this was...  Huh
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: axisofevil
Quote from: BlueRhizome

It surely must be free - for limited cases.
e.g. How long does copyright last - surely some rubbish old silent films are available  Grin

Copyright is complicated. Apart from the copyright on a film there is the copyright to a the story, to any music used, to any artwork shown in the film etc. etc.
It's A Wonderful Life lost its copyright due to an administrative error but problems remain. (See Wikipedia).
Channel 4 has films to download via 4oD to view at a price. Occasionally there is a free one to watch.
Some old silent films here: http://creative.bfi.org.uk/titles/
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: alanf
Some old silent films here: http://creative.bfi.org.uk/titles/

There are some interesting snippets on this site.
Note that the licence is a non-commercial one and you can re-distribute - provided you don't add DRM.
So they can't appear on iPlayer.  Grin
I'm currently looking at "Lady Godiva" circa 1900 which features a fat woman wearing clothes, sitting on a white horse  Roll eyes

Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks, both links are interesting finds.  Cool