cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left PN for O2

johpal
Grafter

Left PN for O2

Today, my home 'phone and broadband were transferred from PN to O2, so far all has gone very smoothly. Of immediate note (connected less than 1 hour) is the improvement in speed (3.8 Mbps, up from 1.7 Mbps), reduction in ping times (40 ms, down from 65+ms) and jitter reduced to only 2 ms.
O2 don't have a ticketing system as such, but in the lead-up to my transfer, all emailed queries have been answered fully and comprehensively, within 24 hours.
So far, all good news. Now let's see how easy it is to pay my final bill with PN.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Left PN for O2

LLU ADSL2+ presumably from your comments?  Cool
Toolbox
Grafter

Has to be or he would not be very happy.
TicnTac
Grafter

Sounds so tempting, but O2 aren't an LLU in our exchange  Roll eyes, plus, they still have that 'orrible finger of BT in them!  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: TicnTac
tempting, but O2 aren't an LLU in our exchange 

= O2 Access = NOT tempting  Angry
Force9Original
Grafter

Have to admit that O2  LLU sirens keep getting louder & louder  to move away from BT's Huawei MSAN's & aggressive DLM.
The only thing keeping the noise at bay is  FTTC  coming to the local exchange  in a few months time.
TicnTac
Grafter

FTTC  coming to the local exchange  in a few months time.

...oh I wish, but we're a little more than a few months away in this neck of the woods  Undecided Fibre is down and routed, but no plans for the pretty green vented boxes to be built any time soon Sad
The lottery Internet continues  Roll eyes
= O2 Access = NOT tempting

....do share, have only heard good things LLU wise! Would like to hear some bad to even the balance, but then I guess when there is a BT mixed in there, O2 can't be that great  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

O2 Access is their service over BT kit where they don't have LLU available.
It's been getting bad press recently, due to the inevitable DLM issues plus traffic management.
O2 LLU, like Be (whose equipment they share) is effectively unlimited & unmanaged.
(Be only offer service where they have LLU kit, O2 do it everywhere.)
Fixes: 47

I have AOL, Orange and Talk Talk available but no sign of 21CN at all any time......but I'll stick with PN as I'm not a mover. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
johpal
Grafter

I'm on O2 LLU; I could see little point in moving to a supplier, other than PN, that would use essentially the same equipment. I am pleasantly surprised by the (sustained) speed increase; I expected no real speed benefits based on my old line statistics.
PN's products didn't seem to suit my changing needs (the new TV is internet connected, with LoveFilm and BBC iPlayer apps. as standard) and were not priced competitively. Reading this section and others in the forum, I feared huge disruption in my billing, should I decide to change products. I will accept the complainants represent perhaps only a tiny minority of many otherwise contented customers. I found, however, the decline in the general standard of customer service (telephoning, raising tickets, the "disappearance" of regulars like Mand and Jameseh on the forum together with constant apologies for poor service from the likes of others, etc.) and emboldened by the "glowing" Which? report of Zen (not available in my area) and O2, somewhat reluctantly, I decided to move on.
If PN can convince me, in future, the company has regained some of its former esteem, together with a better (preferably non-BT) infrastructure, I shall be happy to reconsider.
Community Veteran

@johpal
I'm sorry to hear that your opinion of us has lowered, obviously we take these concerns very seriously. However it's only fair that I address a few of them here.
I feared huge disruption in my billing, should I decide to change products

Whilst I'll be the first to admit that we have had recent problems with billing we have run a project that resolved many, many separate issues. The only problems that we now see tend to be caused by human error which I'll get onto shortly!
the decline in the general standard of customer service

We have recently undergone a very large expansion of our customer base and have had to recruit a large number of staff in line with this. We have increased our Technical Support Teams from three to five, the Faults Team has grown so large as to be split into two (with about four times as many staff as a year ago) and we have moved a large amount of customer service and provisioning work back to the UK with corresponding increases in the size of those teams.
When we take so many staff on we invariably lower the overall standard as our training can only cover so much. Working in an environment such as Plusnet means that you will learn a huge amount on the job as your work is do diverse. We have created a Quality Team to ensure that any consistent under-performers are weeded out and given appropriate training or let go.
the "disappearance" of regulars like Mand and Jameseh

Mand now works in our Development Team and James is our Complaints Lead. As such, they don't have time allocated in their daily work to peruse the forums but you may see them pop up from time to time.
some of its former esteem

We're working hard on it and intend to be even better than we ever were!
together with a better (preferably non-BT) infrastructure

Considering our owners, that's unlikely to happen but recent changes in our control over DLM and the advent of the FTTC and FTTP trials (one customer reporting 107mbps!) make the future with BT very exciting indeed.
I shall be happy to reconsider.

I hope you do! I have Plusnet broadband and phone at home so I can't give it much of a better recommendation than that.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Strat
I have AOL, Orange and Talk Talk available
With clowns like that your better of where you are, Pity you have no sign of 21CN anytime soon, My exchange enables for It at end of year, But my girlfriend who lives In another small town,  Well unfortunately there Is no sign 21CN Nor comp at her exchange now or perhap's never.
Community Veteran

Orange have abandoned LLU broadband, giving the kit back to BT.
TalkTalk bought AOL (and Tiscali) so you only have one LLU provider in reality.
iashton
Grafter

I've moved to O2 like jopal.
My move was prompted after returning from holiday in August and finding my sync speed down to well under 2mbps. It was very unstable for the next 2/3 weeks with resyncs in the downward direct which would pick up to between 2 -3 mbps after a router reboot( power off, wait a few mins, power on). However it never went over the 2848 reported below.
My PlusNet figures immediately before switching were 2848/448 with a 12db downstream noise margin
My O2 figures are 5067/1248 with a 5.4 downstream noise margin.
Nothing else has changed other than my Netgear DG834PN router settings and whatever happened at the Rawdon exchange when I switched. 
So how come I've got such an improvement?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

hopefully you have been moved to O2 LLU, they have their own equipment in the exchange, if you had gone to )2 Access you would have been on an even worse outfit