Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving our troubles behind us.

Highlighted
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Leaving our troubles behind us.

Astronomers are at last going to pull out the stops in the most serious all-sky search [for extra terrestrials] that has ever been accomplished.

Leaving our troubles behind us as we look to the stars for whatever might be out there.

What with that and the James Webb space telescope due to be launched next year, it's interesting times ahead. Although sceptical by nature about aliens visiting the earth, I believe totally that we cannot possibly be the only species created by chance, fate or fortune to exist.

It just makes no sense - not to me anyway. 😃

26 REPLIES 26
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Re: Leaving our troubles behind us.

Yeah.... stop the world.... I wanna get off....

Undecided

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

Really? I doubt there would be any @shutter to get off.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well we can consider the impossible, but more serious would be if the world tilted on it's axis again as it does every 40,000 years or so. There is also the very real danger that global warming will make this happen sooner or later.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Well we can consider the impossible, 40,000 years or so. There is also the very real danger that global warming will make this happen sooner or later.

Actually the Earth tilting on its axis 'causes' fluctuations in global temperature, not the other way around, it certainly causes ice ages.  Some of the more elightened environmentalists like Prof David Bellamy already knew this, which is why when he suggested it was the cause of recent warming his funding was withdrawn quicker than you can blink....  Trouble is the Earth tilting on its axis is not taxable and nobody can exhort and scare people with it, because literally there is nothing we can do about it, except maybe moving everyone to one place and asking us to jump up and down together - maybe we could call that synchronised jumping 'the green movement'....

An insgnificant movement in the axis tilt can cause diproportionate changes in climate. I guess the present warming is just the normal thawing cycle between ice ages - like the auto-defrost on your fridge / freezer,  but we have been measuring temperature for such a short time it is hard to know.

https://www.livescience.com/6937-ice-ages-blamed-tilted-earth.html

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed it does @wotsup but I was just suggesting that global warming was not helping matters.

If it does tilt, global warming will be the least of our worries! 🙂

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Anyways, for those that are interested enough to get involved in such things, this might be worth checking out.

I did, and I have. 👽

Fixes: 382

@Minivanman wrote
I believe totally that we cannot possibly be the only species created by chance, fate or fortune to exist.

And as Jodie Foster said in the film 'Contact' If we are then it's an awful waste of space.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

Very true, and what an understament!

Good film I thought - saw it a year or so back. On TV t'night I think.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

There was some talk a few years ago about the earth's polarity reversing, which is apparently accompanied with various kinds of natural disasters and is overdue.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

You mean we could all become Kiwis and have to go all 1970s with wide lapels, kipper ties... and turn ups on our trousers again?

Nooo! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

Astronomers are at last going to pull out the stops in the most serious all-sky search [for extra terrestrials] that has ever been accomplished.

Leaving our troubles behind us as we look to the stars for whatever might be out there.

What with that and the James Webb space telescope due to be launched next year, it's interesting times ahead. Although sceptical by nature about aliens visiting the earth, I believe totally that we cannot possibly be the only species created by chance, fate or fortune to exist.

Waste of time and money.

Let those extra terrestrials contact us so they can foot the bill.

TTman
All Star

@gleneagles If you were an ET having looked at our world  with all its problems would you want to have contact with us. Crazy2

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well yes if you are concerned about the future of mankind and their own responsibilities towards species other than their own, and ones that they may have even created in the first place. 

Maybe the have as little understanding about us as we do about them. 

I don't abandon seeds I plant in my greenhouse, so maybe beings from other worlds are doing exactly the same and that in reality we are just a scattered variety of tomatoes!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Maybe they already have contacted us, the evidence is certainly very strong and secrecy is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain. 

Why do I remain sceptical? Maybe it's because like so many others I'm not able to accept humanity being turned on it's head just quite yet and besides, if we cannot give up our cars, what chance is there of us giving up our doubts.... and being thought of as being a bit of a loony into the bargain.

Only two dots to join. The first nuclear explosion, and Roswell.

Simples. 😃