cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PlusNet, but what to do with the domain provided by Madasafish?

FIXED
themclennans
Hooked

Leaving PlusNet, but what to do with the domain provided by Madasafish?

So after 18 years with Madasafish and then Plusnet, I have taken the plunge and with a heavy heart placed an order to leave.Cry  This is purely down to the fact that the only fibre connection that we can get at home is FTTH which Plusnet do not (are unable to) support, and seemingly have no expectation to do so in the near future!

However, my query now relates to what to do with the domain which was provided by Madasafish which allows e-mails to be sent to @[Removed].co.uk mailboxes.  Having spoken to the Plusnet Customer services team, they seem to think that because the domain was provided by Madasafish, if I do nothing the service will just carry on and e-mails will be accessible through webmail and that I should be able to continue accessing e-mails through Outlook just as normal.  Furthermore, there would be no charge made for this!

This surprised me somewhat because it seems to me that Plusnet is a commercial operation, and if I am leaving Plusnet, why would they continue to provide a service to me, and why would they do it free of charge.  Having checked with Nominet, it appears that the registrar for my domain is “Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband”.

Am I missing something here? Huh  I do not want to lose the facility to use the @[Removed]co.uk mailboxes.

Do I need to formally arrange to transfer the domain to a hosting company such as 1&1 ionos or similar?

If I can keep my domain with Plusnet, do I need to change the e-mail settings to access my e-mails on Outlook through my new ISP?  And, will I really still be able to access Plusnet webmail?

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction and give me some reassurance, please.  Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Leaving PlusNet, but what to do with the domain provided by Madasafish?

Hi there.
Sorry to hear you’re leaving us. Sad but I appreciate the reason why as FTTP/FTTH is pretty tempting.
I’d just like to confirm that Madasafish accounts which are free of charge as of September 2018 are separate to Plusnet accounts so this won’t be affected by you moving your broadband service away from us.
So if you want us to continue to register and host your domain that’s fine. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
themclennans
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for your reply – on this basis, I will leave the domain where it is. 

If PlusNet do decide to offer a FTTP/FTTH service in the future, I may well be back as we have generally had a good service from you guys and have been happy with the way any problems have been resolved.

However, just to be sure, once we get set up with the new ISP, can I assume that the log in details and settings remain the same as presently used (imap.plus.net / 143 / relay.plus.net / 587 etc).  Is this correct?  Or do I need to change “.plus.net” to “.madasafish.net”?

Finally, I note from the Nominet UK WHOIS page that my domain name has an expiry date of 25-Jan-2019.  Do I need to do something?  Or is this automatically dealt with by the Registrar who is listed as “Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband”? 

If I do need to do something, can you please give me some pointers as to what I need to do, given that I intend to leave the domain where it currently resides?

Thanking you in anticipation of your continued assistance,

Regards,

Rob McLennan

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from General Chat to Email.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Rob.

No problem.

If PlusNet do decide to offer a FTTP/FTTH service in the future, I may well be back as we have generally had a good service from you guys and have been happy with the way any problems have been resolved.

That's good to see, hopefully we'll start offering the service in the not too distant future.

However, just to be sure, once we get set up with the new ISP, can I assume that the log in details and settings remain the same as presently used (imap.plus.net / 143 / relay.plus.net / 587 etc).  Is this correct?  Or do I need to change “.plus.net” to “.madasafish.net”?

You'll need to use the Madasafish settings.

Incoming mail server is: mail.madasafish.com

Outgoing server is: smtp.madasafish.com

The username would be in the format of [username]@madasafish.com (or your domain) and password is your account password. The port numbers should be the same at 110 for POP3 or 143 for IMAP, and 587 or 25 for SMTP

Finally, I note from the Nominet UK WHOIS page that my domain name has an expiry date of 25-Jan-2019.  Do I need to do something?  Or is this automatically dealt with by the Registrar who is listed as “Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband”? 

We 100% manage Madasafish now so it'll fall to us to renew your domain, though we don't do this anymore automatically or proactively so you'd need to contact us to request this.

However, while I'm here I've raised a task with our network guys to sort this out for you.

If I do need to do something, can you please give me some pointers as to what I need to do, given that I intend to leave the domain where it currently resides?

At this point I'd just sit back and relax as your domain will be renewed shortly for a further 2 years, and I can see your line is due to be taken over by your new provider shortly, which will cease your broadband with us and close your Plusnet account.

We'll work out your final bill within 21 days once this happens, which would likely be a pro-rata refund of any subscription fees you've paid us for a service we aren't providing anymore. 

Hope this helps. Smiley

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
themclennans
Hooked

Gandalf / Anoush,

Thank you very much for your help!

I shall watch carefully to see when PlusNet start offering FTTP/FTTH, and once we reach the end of the introductory period from the new ISP, will look to see whether we can make it back to P/N.

Your helpful assistance has been typical of the good service that we have experienced during our time with Madasafish and PlusNet.

Hopefully, we shall see you guys again soon!

Rob

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem at all Rob and thanks for your kind words.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just to post back, I've discussed this with our email/domain expert and I'd just like to add (and set expectations) that if we ever are to discontinue providing email/domain services, we'd give you plenty of notice before shutting things down.

However at the moment I'm not aware of any definitive plans to do that though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet