Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leased lines - how do they 'work'

x47c
Grafter

Leased lines - how do they 'work'

I'm curious:
Exchange recently upgrade to ADSL2+, so the max is 20Mbps - I'm due for my upgrade shortly.
I see a couple of commercial organisations nearby from the 'Uswitch streetstats' speed tests on the map are getting a measured download of around 38Mbps each.
One is 2Km from the exchange and the other 3Km.  I'm located somewhere in the middle between them.
No FTTC or FTTP at any local exchange
Ok, so I assume this must be a leased line they are using.
But then I'm thinking...hang on how are they getting near 40Mbps at this sort of distance from the exchange even if they do have a guaranteed line speed/availability from there on via fibre to the local 21CN node.  This equates to a "sync speed" of around 50Mbps.
Well that ain't ADSL2+ is it....
So, someone who knows - how do they get this sort of speed at this sort of distance
I'm thinking possible multi-line bonding into one service line thus parallelling up the paths maybe?
I suppose that's why the service costs a few £k per month to lease plus another whopping setup charge at the start.
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Leased lines - how do they 'work'

it'll be fibre to the premises done on an individual basis with it's own service level etc. Nothing like the residential products at all.
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well I was on a leased line in the 80's, certainly not fibre, from our office to headquarters was 24 miles away, and we had good speed, didnt know what Mb'b were then, we had our own intranet - world wide

yeah but that was in the 30's Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

cheeky young whippersnapper  Shocked

[me=dvorak]hangs his head in shame[/me]
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

he is.
our internal net went via leased line to Goonhilly and we had a permanent link to the US.
My  first experience of leased lines was in the mid 70's, from near Eindhoven (but in Belgium) to Koln, and that is a long way
x47c
Grafter

Yeah I thought about dedicated fibre possibiilty, I also thought of some dedicated ultra fancy microwave link.
But this is a rural area and the commercial premises are hence a rather isolated commercial setup in a village/hamlet area.
There are no underground ducts - all the BT cable is armoured direct in ground so to get fibre to anywhere would be "difficult" and involve a lot of negotiation with field owners not to mention a lot of digging and disruption - and I think we all might have noticed this.
One the organisations I sort of know so I might try and ask - though I expect they wouldn't know the details of how is is done.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Possibly they are using bonded lines
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Thats what we had, dont think they were underground to the local village, about two miles, went from post to post
map of local (Now Essex Police pursuit section) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Holts+Ln&daddr=Main+Rd%2FB1137&hl=en&ll=51.777081,0.527687&spn=0...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In the old pre-fibre days fast leased lines would be would be special high frequency cables, possibly coax. The BT/C&W engineers would carefully electrically balance the circuits from the exchange to the premises. A skilled installation, which was reflected in the installation price.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Ellis
Grafter

Careful, don't get too fast or you may get the answer before you ask the question.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Sometimes that would be difficult to detect on this Forum, with so many threads ending up going around in circular arguments,
or the same old questions being asked over and over again so the answer often does exist before the repeated question was asked !.