cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leased Line Availability

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Leased Line Availability

I am assuming with no support forum and no results found using search that PN do not support these  Sad I'm thinking of moving to a leased line and I was wondering if :-
A. There was an online way of checking availability, speed and cost.
B. If anyone has had experience with them and if they were worth the money.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Leased Line Availability

Need a personal quotation as there are a lot of different factors involved.
On the cost though, how much would you be willing to spend? A 10Mbps line will probably set you back around £250-300 a month and you'll be tied in for a few years. Installation cost can be 4 figures easily.
Community Veteran

Well at the moment I'm nearly 90PM for the two ADSL lines I have both of which do 6.5Mbps so that's a lot of money for not even half the speed increase. While looking into satellite BB I came across this and my postcode is eligible so this might take care of some of the installation costs, but according to what I've read I need to at least double my speed which means more money.
I've also been looking at BT's EMF but I suspect this may need FTTC to be available.
Community Veteran

You need to put the Connection Vouchers scheme through a business though.
I think the leased line installation cost will be very high for you, although it might be worth getting a quotation for information purposes.
Is your area still showing ES on the Digital Scotland checker?
Community Veteran

Putting the vouchers through a company is not an issue, but out of curiosity I'll call BT in the morning and my area is still ES on the DS Site. One weird thing is when I enter my post code I get a map with a green pin, but after I select my address from the list I get told I can't get it! But maybe that's par for the course.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The line speed and reliability on a leased line will be defined as part of the contract. Any installation quote would probably be subject to site survey. I've had several situations where the telecom company records didn't match what they have on the ground. Unless you specify resilience requirements there's no guarantee even a leased line will be free from outages. Inevitably* the "final mile" will be installed and administered by BT, but if you go through a third party they'll have better contacts within OpenReach and might have a pricing advantage. If resilience is key to you be sure to provide UPS power for the line equipment.  We moved away from Easynet, to Plusnet, because they didn't have the ADSL package we wanted, but they might be worth a call, they are quite business focussed.

*There are some geographic exceptions.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I am very close to the exchange thankfully, but it's a Market 1 so would EasyNet be able to provide service. I suspect I'm stuck with BT if I go down this route.
pwatson
Rising Star

Some example EFM costs here:
http://www.gradwell.com/broadband/efm/
Gradwell's broadband checker will also give you pricing for a 100Mb fibre Ethernet circuit (with various rate limits)
http://www.gradwell.com/broadband/checker/
Various BT and Talk Talk options from AAISP
http://aa.net.uk/ethernet-quote1.html?
Hope you've got deep pockets! Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks for those links, I would have replied earlier but, I've just came to, having passed out seeing the pricing! I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but if they are comparable market prices then it's a non starter. I'll just phone PN on Monday and see if I can get a deal on another two ADSL lines. But the only snag there is I know there's no spare wires so I may be wasting my time.
Community Veteran

Actually those Gradwell offerings look quite good. Might give them a call to double check those options are actually available.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@ Mook - Do you have a contact within Digital Scotland?
Community Veteran

No, I don't. Do you? Even with one what difference would it make?