cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning to play the guitar

randpwar
Grafter

Learning to play the guitar

My family bought me a guitar form Xmas. Really happy about it and I very much want to learn to play it from the absolute ground floor of knowledge…okay, I know to hold it with the strings pointing out but that’s about it.
My lad is pretty good on the ukulele and my brother’s a very good guitarist and he comes over (for the promise of a free meal) and the two jam and compose their own pieces occasionally.
My question is: what is the best way to learn to play the guitar? I’ve done the dvd that came with the guitar and looked at a few youtube videos and they’ve helped to a degree I suppose but I can’t help thinking having a trainer in the room must be best? I’m thinking of having ‘formal’ lessons and augmenting that with my brother’s help on his occasional visits
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Learning to play the guitar

I'm self taught and if you heard me play you would soon appreciate that it's not always the best way to go.
Formal lessons would be ideal as you would get a good grounding in music theory as well as the practicalities.
The encouragement of your brother would be a welcome bonus.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if you can read sheet music then go for proper lessons if your the kind of person who listens to a piece of music then works out how to play it by sound don't bother getting forma lessons unless you want to learn how to read music and learn all the technical terms and where each chord/key is located on the various frets along the neck
I cant read music and I hated guitar lessons but I guess some of it stuck since that was over 25 years ago Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

With any musical instrument the ability to read music is a great bonus. I can, but very slowly and wish i could sight read as second nature (like my ex wife who was a student at the Royal Academy of Music) However you can get away with murder if the sheet music has guitar chord symbols incorporated in it. But beware of this as the sheet music will be written in the original musical key chosen by the composer, but this is often not the same key that is played on recordings, arrangers often transpose the key to suit the voice of vocalists, so if you want to play along to recordings you should be aware of this.
Like Strat I'm largely self-taught catching up with slow reading rather later in life, but I had a good "ear" and naturally rhythmic, and taught myself driving my parents mad playing along to records in the mid sixties. However when much later looking at the sheet music of music I had taught myself was often surprised that I had got some of the notes and chords quite wrong.
Shussssh!! but many greatly respected guitarists are quoted as taking their first steps with Bert Weedons teaching books, they are still available (check Amazon). Don't sneer at them, even if you don't tell anybody you're using them.  
PS. what sort of guitar did Santa bring you?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

I had lessons at school for a while and was also trying to start up a band with a friend back in the mid '70s. At that time my main interest was classical particularly organ and piano so dropped out the band idea. Don't know how well my friend did as we lost touch soon after.
My guitar teacher claimed he taught Paul McCartney - that was never confirmed, though. Great if really was true Cool
I do agree, though, that being able to read music is a great boon but not totally necessary.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still