cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning to play Keyboard. (Can you play?)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Learning to play Keyboard. (Can you play?)

I have always fancied myself as a bit of a Mike Oldfield / Rick Wakeman but never done anything about it. The only thing I know about music is what I like, and as the end of yet another year approaches I have
decided to do some thing about it.
So for those that can play a keyboard what is the best way to learn?
Should I learn to read music first? Or get a 'for Dummies' book? I don't want to get professional lessons as I can't always commit to my attendance due to work.
Your thoughts would be appreciated but for what it's worth I'd thought about buying a Korg Taktile TR49 and yes I've read the specification of this which is why I want it, to 'future proof' my grand plan!  Grin
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Learning to play Keyboard. (Can you play?)

Buy a keyboard and just keep pressing the keys 'til something musical happens, I can just about play the Blockbusters theme myself (one-fingered though) and that was through just listening to the notes both in the music and from what I was playing on the keyboard... Smiley
If you have a smartphone or tablet, there's also apps you can download (free and paid-for versions, the latter being the better ones) to have a go, but the difference between tapping a touchscreen and tinckling some plastic ivories is chalk & cheese, but it does help you figure things out... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'd suggest getting a proper piano to learn on, (looking through our local paper there are 2-3 givaways this week), then take piano lessons from a professional tutor for a year before even considering an electronic keyboard. It will teach you timing, chords and pressure on the keys and pedals, you'll learn to read music at the same time.
(yes I play the piano)
Community Veteran

Thanks for the feedback guys. Recycling a piano makes good sense, I'll have a snoop a the local rags and recycle sites to see if there is anything on offer. As regards the lessons it of course does make sense, but I don't want to commit myself when I may not be able to keep up the meetings. Mind you there is always the weekends I suppose.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had a few lessons when I was a kid.... can`t say they did me a lot of good.... I eventually played hooky and didn`t go for a couple of weeks, and my mother thrashed me for wasting the money...!..
I can find my way around a keyboard, but could not, by any means, say that I can play one...
Having lessons is something that you can either "get on with" or not... hopefully, you will feel that they are a "necessary evil" to start with, and will appreciate the "fine tuning" ( yes a pun !) that you will get, with the knowledge of what those little black spots on a music sheet mean... and how they relate to those black and white keys...
I would suggest, that if you do get a "freebie" piano, you also get someone to tune it ...  ( you dont need that with an electronic keyboard )... my second suggestion would be, as you don` t want to make a "regular commitment" to GOING to lessons, is to see if there is someone local, that will come to you on a semi-adhoc basis... say once a week, or fortnight, as time permits...  adverts in local shops? ? ?  you or them .....
Community Veteran

Great idea about the home lessons shutter, should have thought about that myself.
Fixes: 125

I agree with getting a second-hand upright. If you do go the route of electronic keyboard then try and get one with 76 or more keys because as you progress you will find that you'll want/need them.
Lessons would be a great advantage as would learning to read music.
I used to be an organist for two choirs in my younger days. I much preferred that than the piano but I haven't played for several years although it's a bit like riding a bike and it soon comes back to you Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
my second suggestion would be, as you don` t want to make a "regular commitment" to GOING to lessons, is to see if there is someone local, that will come to you on a semi-adhoc basis... say once a week, or fortnight, as time permits...  adverts in local shops? ? ?  you or them .....

@Shutter. Agreed
Most piano tutors I know do on-site adhoc home visits, ................rough tuning a piano good enough to learn on is not that difficult, ........youtube is your guide - bit of software and a box spanner
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Community Veteran

I can dream.
Fixes: 47

I have some guitars and a keyboard.
I'm a little competent on the guitars but it doesn't translate to the keyboard Sad
An electronic piano with velocity sensitive keyboard is a good substitute for 'the real thing' but is still quite expensive.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
All4One
Grafter

I can play, never had lessons, just make stuff up or watch youtube videos and learn that way. I did however have guitar and drum lessons which helped to start but after a while, useless, I was better off learning myself.
We have a nice upright piano in the dining room which cost a few K. (missus players too)
It comes easily to me though as musically talented, I play guitar and drums and didj. I'm tempted for a sax soon!