cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning to fly...

LiamM
Grafter

Learning to fly...

I'm toying with the idea of taking some flying lessons with the aim of possibly obtaining a private pilots' license.
I've been reading up on it this weekend and it sounds quite fun - and no longer hurrendously costly. Ignoring the fact that I'm a nervous flyer (can't say i know why) - I think I'd do okay :-)  I think learning and being in control would alleviate where my fears lie - as the logical part of my head tells me it is fine - but the irational part tells me the plane is going to crash.  I'm a keen flyer on Flight Simulator, but I know that doesn't count ;-)
Anyone here got a license or taken lessons?  Recommend it?
26 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Learning to fly...

Liam,
Firstly, speak to Kieran P.
Secondly, remind me when I need to leave the country.
How many times have you crashed your car? Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Someone I worked with a few years back was a qualified gliding instructor. One Saturday he was not on the rota to be on duty at the club, but because it was a good flying day he went anyway. When he got there he found that one of the instuctors who was supposed to be there wasn't - could he do some lessons.
First person, because they were running late, he cut the pre-flight chat "Flown a glider before?"
"Yes"
"How much time?" - its was not much at all.
"Ever done a take-off?"
"No"
So he does the take off. When they get settled at height he tells the pupil to put his hands/feet on the controls then "You have control".
Normally when you do that, even with a pupil who has flown a few times there are a few wobbles, but this time there were none. Good he thinks, "Can you do a turn to the right", a pretty good turn is executed, and to the left, another pretty good turn.
However there is something about the way the turns are made that raises suspicions. Apparently the combination of banking/rudder is different in a glider to a powered aircraft.
"Have you ever done any other flying?"
"A bit"
"When did you last fly?"
"Well actually I brought Concorde back from New York this morning"!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
brad
Grafter

I think you should go for it Liam. You may regret if you don't.
Always worth to try something new I reckon.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yea I'd go for it too, I'd love to do it some day. I think it would help overcome your fear, since you'd be in control and you'd know what happens to fly it etc, then you'd know there's someone who is better qualified than you are doing it when you go on a plane.
If you can do it, do it Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Firstly, speak to Kieran P.

Will do...
Quote from: Jameseh
Secondly, remind me when I need to leave the country.
How many times have you crashed your car? Tongue

Grin
ztestpn
Dabbler

Wow! I think you should go for it. It takes forever to do your pre-flight checks etc though.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

My advice:
If you can afford it - do it!  It's worth the effort - but don't underestimate the time and commitment it takes in the early days.
Gliding is less costly but still enormous fun. 
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
"Well actually I brought Concorde back from New York this morning"!

Guess that will never happen again then will it. Sad
The Concorde at Filton is in a rough state, see it quick before is falls apart! The one I saw in Seattle is in great shape being tended to by folks from Boeing!
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Denzil
Grafter

Hi, Liam,
My mum has a Private Pilot's Licence! She does it for fun, and just hires a club plane every so often and goes for a spin. As others have said, there is nothing like trying it out. Ask your local flying club/airfield. You can probably get a free or cheap trial lesson.
A basic PPL just lets you fly single engined light aircraft in good conditions. You will need to study radio operation, weather, navigation and various other things as well as physically flying the machine. Flying in bad weather, at night, larger aircraft etc all need more qualifications.
Go for it if you can!
metman
Dabbler

Quote from: Liam
I'm toying with the idea of taking some flying lessons with the aim of possibly obtaining a private pilots' license.

Hi Liam,
If you have the time and the cash give it a tonk. I’ve been a flying instructor for many years; your apprehension will soon disappear after a few lessons.
Only advice I can offer is to have a lesson as often as possible, otherwise you tend not to advance.
Good luck, any landing you walk away from was a good one.
Simon_M
Grafter

Go for it Liam. You will be far too busy doing it to worry about it.  Smiley
Gliding is great fun too. Don't worry if your first winch launch as a trainee (when you are not much more than a passenger) scares you sh**less, once you start actually flying them yourself they are the most fantastic fun. Personally, it's the aero-tows that make me feel uncomfortable! Height + speed = safety when in the air & there is no quicker way of getting a safe height than a winch launch.
If you do try gliding, check the club's flight logs to see how long the average training flight is. If it's only 4-5 mins off a winch launch, consider another club in a better location for lift, otherwise you will end up absolutely fantastic at take-offs & landings, but get very little actual flying done.
chino
Grafter

There is Oli on Tech support who is taking lessions now... I will ask him when we are back on shift to give you a pm so that you can ask him any questions..
LiamM
Grafter

Mmm yeah, please do.
Moggy
Grafter

Liam,
have a look at www.pprune.org the site for us Aviation people.