cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learner insurance

Fixes: 125

Learner insurance

I thought this subject has come up before but a search found nothing.
I'm thinking of letting SWMBO practice is my car as it's just two weeks till her test on 25th (she still has 20 hours of lessons left).
I know there are a few companies that offer short-term learner driver insurance policies but most seem to offer 7 days or a minimum of one month.
I have only found one that does a 2 week deal (InsureLearnerDriver). I could buy 2 x 7 DAYS policies but then it would be cheaper to buy a month's. But a month is a bit of a waste, too.
Does anyone know of any companies that offer a 2 week deal?
I have tried the comparison sites but they just link to annual policies Sad
Also rang my current insuraer and they wouldn't add her on a temporary basis.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Learner insurance

Quote from: Mav
Also rang my current insurer and they wouldn't add her on a temporary basis.

It's a fair while since I've done this but IIRC adding a learner driver (we had 3 in turns!) to our policy (who clearly has to be accompanied by the existing policyholder) was a minimal cost.
Once they passed and wanted to drive alone the price went up of course, but cross that bridge when you have to.
Might not pass first time, so who knows how long you'll need this extra cover.  Wink Once you don't need it just change the policy again, though there may be a small admin charge.

The lady I spoke to from my current insurer (Hastings Direct) did suggest I try adding her permanently but she didn't seem hopeful as she said something about SWMBO being refused due to my car. Maybe because it's a 7-seater or only 6 months old or both?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

If you get stuck it may be worth speaking to an insurance broker.  They often can arrange cover for specific reasons and this cover is not always available on line.

Thanks for the tip, artmo.
I rang a couple of brokers. One said he never knew of any company that does it and the other said that no company would put a second insurance on a car. I think he was fishing for me to change my policy over, too.
I will go with the link in my OP which is £64.95 for 14 days. Seems expensive but probably so much cheaper than taking out an annual then paying an admin fee to cancel.

JamesM
Grafter

Australia is the place to be Mav, I never had car insurance as it isn't compulsory. The government ended up bringing in compulsory third party insurance which is included in the price of your rego ( road tax), so this is paid when you registered your car at the motor registry.(There is a motor registry in nearly every town, so no sending everything off, you just rocked up in person).  The downside was, when I came back to England, I had no, no claims bonus, so I had to start from scratch.

Quote from: JamesM
Australia is the place to be Mav,

That may be a bit of a drastic move at this stage Tongue
But it does seem other countries are able to streamline these sort of things where the UK makes it extremely difficult/complicated or just full of hurdles.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Maybe she's too valuable to insure, a priceless, unique, and irreplaceable treasure, and therefore uninsurable    Wink

@purleigh
Oh, yes, most definitely Cool Smiley