cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leading Tory says next year we will have a hung Parliament

Community Veteran

Leading Tory says next year we will have a hung Parliament

"The next general election is "very likely" to produce a hung parliament, former deputy prime minister Lord Heseltine has said.
This was because to take overall control, the Conservatives needed the biggest electoral swing, "with two exceptions, since the war", he said. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8335377.stm
Oh I do hope so - as the last thing we need now is  a major lurch to far right - which I think would be inevitable with the current crop of tory MP's at the top table.
A hung parliament would also ensure that ALL the country was fairly represented rather than the relatively affluent south east  of England.
If smaller parties such as the Welsh Plaid Cymru, Northern Ireland's parties and Scotland SNP were brought in too - it would mean that the UK parliament realy did represent the UK and not just a small part of England.
And for Chancellor I would suggest Vince Cable of theLib Dems - who seems to speak more sense on economic matters that Labour and Tory people combined.
But Who would the coalition PM be - most certainly not Brown or Cameron - both very divisive in the UK scene and not Clegg either I suspect.

18 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Leading Tory says next year we will have a hung Parliament

It looks likely that the Conservatives will win the next election with the big question being who will be in opposition, Lib Dems may actually over-take Labour!  Conservatives will be "in power" but if LD+Labour combine they will have more seats than the Conservatives which may in effect tie Cameron's hands.  I'm not sure but I don't think we get a mixed government where Lib Dems can be part of the party in power unless they are elected as such?  What we could see is any reforms the Conservatives want to bring through being blocked by LD+Labour out-voting the Conservatives.  In a case like this I'd hope that Cameron would dissolve parliament and call for a new general election.
I also don't think we'll ever see a parliament representative of the country, for the past lots of years we've had a Scottish PM with a Scottish Chancellor swiftly followed by a Scottish PM and a Scottish Chancellor, and John Prescott......  I don't think its possible for parliament to represent the whole country in any meaningful manner, it's all about the party line and doing what the whip says or lose your expenses account. 
I'm hoping for a change, I'm hoping eventually we get a strong leader who doesn't care about their own popularity but will do what is best for the country even if it is a really harsh decision to take, Brown isn't that, Blair most certainly was not and Cameron isn't either.  Boris Johnson on the other hand, he'd make a wonderful PM Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We are being run by scots anyway. !  check out the top five in the government....  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I don't suppose it will be too long before someone suggests hanging the lot of them anyway Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ok, lets hang the lot of them...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a lot of rope, but no where to fix it
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgwebb
  Boris Johnson on the other hand, he'd make a wonderful PM Cheesy

You may have a point there dgwebb.  Boris is a dark horse. Beneath the public image there is a very astute politician.  In reality,however, as things stand at present the next PM will be Cameron, Clegg or Brown.  That's our choice and I'd go with Cameron.
mentalist3d
Grafter

[EDIT] just edited my post because re-reading, I wasn't sure if you were talking about hanging Scots in general or just those five politicians Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Oh no! fine people the Scots, turned out some great engineers (and Lulu don't forget) Just wish they were as forth-coming with their current crop of  politicians...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Pierre.... have a look on Ebay for "sky hooks "  Roll eyes
mentalist3d
Grafter

@Petlew: I'm from Browns constituency but we don't seem to have any powers over who gets in, most people in Fife don't like Brown or what he's done to the locality.
On another note, when it was only rumoured that Brown may become PM, and most thought it would never happen, everyone in Fife knew it was a definite, because all of a sudden, all of the areas in Fife considered SIP Areas (Social Inclusion Partnerships - basically areas high in unemployment, low income, lack of community resources, deprivation, etc.) suddenly had a massive cash injection, I suppose it wouldn't look good if the PMs constituent looked like Beirut.
An article which pretty much sums up one of the areas: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/jan/25/britishidentity.stephenkhan
The really sad thing is that they decided to pay:  £350,000 to build a concrete square with a statue supposedly representing the miners as part of Lochgellys regeneration rather than investing the money into Youth Services (which are currently at none), and upgrade services for the elderly. It seems to be, as long as an area looks good, the deep underlying issues and deprivation can be ignored. More can be found here: http://www.fifefire.gov.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.display&objectid=5A1800A5-D56C-18E9-F4773C...
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
We are being run by scots anyway. !   check out the top five in the government....  Shocked

They are on missionary work  Wink Grin
And don't forget King James of Scotland then went down to London to take over there  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't mind who gets in, but I'd like to see some changes.
1) When a PM stands down it evokes a general election, a PM cannot 'pass the baton of office'.
2) MP's being able to stand for 2 terms only. If they were good they will easily find positions in Business/Industry after, if they are no good, I'd prefer they did not represent me.
3) Think with time I'd like to see the number in the house decreased by 30% and eventually MPs to do the role as volunteers (with a set expenses figure). Standing for Parliament when they have had a successfully 20-30 year career after doing something else (Medicine, lecturing, business leader (*), trades union leader, teacher), they take a sabbatical from their existing employment.
(*) Example of Archie Norman bought up in an earlier thread, Turned ASDA around then elected as MP for Tunbridge Wells(?)

Too many politicians are 'professional politicians' and have lost contact with reality.

barky
Grafter

hung parliament is what I'm expecting to -- would be awful to get the tory mob in again as everything north of watford is of little concern to them as long as their 'heartlands' are OK
Community Veteran

@journeys - agree with a lot you say  - but two terms only would deprive us of some good people too, and some old timers who know how they place works  - like Skinner, Benn,  George Young, Ming Campbell etc etc - you need a good core with experince.
But yes the problem for both Thtacher and Blair is they became stale - so I agree PM should be limited to about 8 years maximum.
And yes - much fewer UK MP's - less Scottish, Welsh, Irish, English  MP's - as all but England now have their own assembly / parliament and an English Chamber where the house of Lords now is.