cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leadership Elections

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Leadership Elections

This week the leadership stakes in the Labour party should start to heat up.

This weekend Sir Kier Starmer QC (call me Kier) has officially declared although a poll earlier in the week had him as the firm favourite before his announcement. Jess Phillips and Lisa Nandy also announced their intentions to stand making a total of five contenders to date with Clive Lewis and Lady Nugget already declared.

It is thought that Rebecca Wrong-Daily will also join the race. She is the choice of the hard left and seen as a 'shoe-in' by many because of the way the selection is made with the unions having a big influence in the outcome.

So who will win the vote and will they be able to stand up to BJ?

And of course the LibDems also need a new leader!

242 REPLIES 242
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Leadership Elections

@artmo I see the NEC will sit next week to sort out how the election  for leader  can be fixed OOps sorry can be sorted out for a fair contest.Wink

Also i see illib dumbs have a pansexual candidate for leader HuhThumbs_Up

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Keir starmer is forever in my mind as one of the most committed and disruptive remainers in parliament, and shouty mouth Jess Philips says she wants to rejoin EU ... not much difference between them although Starmer says the question of leave or remain is settled I think he is just saying that for effect, because after his antics  over last 3- 1/2 year I cannot imagine for a moment he really believes it... Rebecca wrong-Bailey is Corbyns mini-me, Clive Lewis is a waste of oxygen, 

A change of leader is not gonna make them electable...and they'll have no say in any decisions that parliament makes in next 5 years...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

The whole new leader election thing is just like the crew of the Titanic deciding to elect a new captain after the ship hit the iceberg, in the hope that a new face at the helm would stop it sinking. Big problem is that all the people up for election to leader of Labour ( now as wrongly named as somehow a party of the working man as the liberal democrats are as a party of free speech and democracy ) are complicit in the massive misreading of the mood of voters in UK, and that is why their ship hit the iceberg of public opinion and came off worst.

And the band played on..............as the crew rearranged the deckchairs.. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@wotsup 

You sum it up well.

Not one of them is leadership material...

The only chance of increasing their numbers at the next GE is if Boris makes a lot of major mistakes over the next 5 years.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Opposition party leadership elections.

A headline that deserves to be lost on the back page of any newspaper amongst ads for used cars.

These self serving losers who still fail to grasp why they lost don't deserve any sort of publicity or recognition.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

More like a warm up than a heat up.

And Jess Phillips telling Andrew Marr yesterday that she could see herself campaigning to rejoin the EU.  Christ on a bike don't these guys realise it's all over bar the actual leaving?

That's her down the pan ready to be flushed - and it's not even started.

Want to be a contender, then don't mention the Brexit.

@gleneagles 

I'm sure Boris will make mistakes, but whether he does or not the BBC and papers such as the Guardian will be trying to stab him in the back regardless - in factb they have already started and he's not been in the job post election five minutes. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The BBC might need to watch their step, their biased reporting may well see changes to that organisation, changes to the license fee being one.....and not before time.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I doubt many are bothered who leads the Labour Party from these bunch of losers and I suspect many Labour supporters do not care either.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Seems to me there is a general dislike of anything left of centre these days coming as it does with all the current PC nonsence. As if the baggage of Brexit was not enough, they have the weight of those misguided social justice warriors to contend with.

Labour were "unelectable and undesirable" according to David Milliband  (a sure winner should he choose to enter the fray)  - and that was three years ago so no change there!

Let Boris do his job and all being well with the world post Brexit and the likes of Millilband the elder at the helm, Labour might be in with a shout instead of a whimper.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

But David Milliband can't be a contender. We're talking about a leader in the House. He is not an MP so cannot be considered.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Indeed not, but if he were... which was my point and anyway, does one have to be an MP in order to be leader of a political party? I'm not so sure, after all Farage was not one so....

Happy to be corrected.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@artmo wrote:
But David Milliband can't be a contender. We're talking about a leader in the House. He is not an MP so cannot be considered.

A Leader of Labour party with an American accent !

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Well they've had a couple with a Welsh one, so why not. 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The leader does not have to be an MP but if that was the case they would still have to elect a leader of the Parliamentary party.  Practically it wouldn't work. I don't think there is any doubt they are looking for an MP to take the leadership.