cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leader's Vacancy

Community Veteran

Leader's Vacancy

Now that the dust has settled on the Conservative win the next battleground will be the election of new leaders to three of the parties. I think we can ignore UKIP and the Lib Dems but the new leader of the Labour Party could decide the future of the party.
So far 4 names are in the frame, Chuka Umunna, Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Dan Jarvis. Others may also throw their hats into the ring and it is even suggested David Miliband could return from the US to lead the party.
So who will win this race?
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Leader's Vacancy

Ho Hum.... in answer to your last question.....
FPTP !  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

no, the leader have to get a majority and not the largest number of votes.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

well now there's no union block voting for the leader whoever it is will have to actually earn their place at the top..... chucka is too bothered about his image as the first black leader to actually do anything important, Yvette cooper likes the sound of her own voice too much and is even more of a media sound bite machine than millipede was, andy burnham is on par with Yvette  and Dan Jarvis is someone I can make any comments on because he's hardly ever on the telly ( at least on the stuff I watch), not that it will make any difference but all the old faces from the front bench should rule themselves out as they were in the top ranks under blair /brown and millipede and are all part of what screwed the country, something a lot of people wont forget in a hurry so they would be best off getting totally new leadership from the back benches and move forwards in a more traditional manner instead of being the imitation of the likes of Stalin.
UKIP could well end up with farage as its leader come Septembers conference (he hasn't said he wont re run for it), the liberals are totally defunct as a party and should probably fold up shop, wouldn't be surprised to here vince cable gets the top spot which would probably be the final nail in the parties coffin.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nanotm
Dan Jarvis is someone I can make any comments on because he's hardly ever on the telly

Dan Jarvis has ruled himself out as leadership candidate.
http://news.sky.com/story/1481430/dan-jarvis-rules-out-labour-leadership-bid
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've never heard of any of them, don't suppose that bodes well for Labour in 2020.  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

As alanf has said Jarvis has ruled himself out. He is the man the Tories would have hated the most  apparently. Military background.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If Cameron offers Farage a seat in the House of Lords and he accepted that I think he would be unable to stand again as a MP.
As for some of the top fiiers in the various parties who lost their seats I wonder how many will get posts in the EU on a much higher salary one example being N Kinnock.
Community Veteran

David Miliband has stated he has no interest in leading the party so I guess the new leader will come from an existing MP.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

No one else from UKIP has been seen much apart from the two ex-MPs (now 1 MP) and Farage. I saw the vice chair answering questions on its manifesto and she seemed clear and direct. How she would have fared in a political debate is another question. I saw the deputy leader of UKIP last night. I had neither seen or heard of him before. The party really needs to become something other than the Farage fan club.
I notice no signs Clegg or Miliband being asked to unresign!
Community Veteran

UKIP is a one man band and without Farage they would not survive. As said by alanf they do not have another high profile individual.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Since he's come up, being a fan of conspiracy theory's, I wonder if Nigel Farage knew in advance that his "step-down" would be rejected.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think it has certainly destroyed any credibility he had. Will people ever trust him again Undecided
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Petlew
Since he's come up, being a fan of conspiracy theory's, I wonder if Nigel Farage knew in advance that his "step-down" would be rejected.
Reply #292 Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The plot thickens  Grin