cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lawn mowers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lawn mowers

How hard can it be to buy a Lawn Mower, or to be more accurate one that is reliable and at a reasonable cost ?

Currently use a Bosch corded mower about 3 to 4 years old but keeps cutting out, have given everything a good clean in and around the electric motor, front filter grill cleaned so I suspect the motor is the problem.

Have been looking at the same make of mower which rates as a best buy but looking at feedback on Amazon seems a number of customers who purchased this make & model did so because of good service from previous Bosch lawnmower now rate it as very low, several complaining that the motor burnt out within months after little use.

I have discounted other types of mower, petrol, battery, manual, either because of cost or inconvenience so wish to stick to a corded mower.

Any thoughts ?

29 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Lawn mowers

I always go for a Flymo Thumbs Up  once had a bosch and SWIBO dint like it

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Never has any real problem with mowers but I would always stick to a corded one as batteries have as we all know a limited life and a replacement may well cost almost as much as the original mower did.

I did however buy a 'top of the range' and not cheap corded 1000w electric strimmer which was a real beast - until it went wrong shortly after buying. Took it back to the supplier, one of those 'farm shop to be trusted' sort of places only to be told that "the plastic parts were not covered under the guarantee". Given that at least 90% of the thing was made from various types of the stuff including the drive gears, I was not best pleased! 

One strong letter to the manufacturer in which I did not mince my words got me a 50% refund, the supplier never got any more of my business either from myself or hopefully, from those I told.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Invest in a lithium battery cordless one; we have a 5* year old Bosch, and still going strong, though would never be economic to replace battery.
I'll wager there'll be some good Bank Holiday deals.
Paying by credit card I had option of adding 3 years extra warranty (at no cost)  on top of original 2 years

as part of card's benefits.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Bought my mother a corded Bosch lawnmower and it lasted less than 9mths, considering 4 of those months were over winter when not used I was really disappointed and wouldn't but another one.

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

+1 for Bank Holiday deals!

About 2-3 years ago we got a (corded) Bosch Rotak 43 for half-price (ISTR a shade under £80.00) from Homebase, whilst Amazon also matched that price on the same Bank Holiday weekend (which was the one just coming up!).  I see Amazon have it listed  ATM for £179.99 but I'd be surprised if there isn't a big mark-down for the BH.

Ours is now in it's third season and appears to be still going strong.

Slightly OT but I've got several other Bosch garden tools (all corded), all bought new apart from an excellent shredder which I picked up on eBay several years ago for £50 - which happens to be the most satisfying to use!  It's a Bosch AXT 2200 HP, which although now discontinued can still be found in good used condition on eBay.

It's the 2200W version of the 2500W one in this video, can handle branches up to 38mm thick with ease, and is almost silent (compared to those noisy fast-revving impact shredders you hear).  Amazon reviews.

I had to replace the motor start/run capacitor last year, but other than that the beast is still going strong - thoroughly recommended!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I haven't used electric outdoor tools since the flymo strimmer we had seized up over winter (would have fixed it, but, more trouble than it was worth), currently I have a Gardenline brand petrol mower with a Briggs & Stratton 575EX engine, a Ryobi 4-stroke strimmer (with hedge cutter attachment) and a couple of two-stroke stinkies for backup incase I need it, love the sound of engines, so could never go back to electric... Smiley

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

Bet the neighbours love the sound of that engine, nothing to beat it early on a Sunday morning when you want a lie in.

SmileySmiley

Just kidding, I guess a petrol driven mower is more reliable providing it's a 4 rather than a 2 stroke.

Community Veteran

Nah, I don't mow in the morning, grass is too damp from the morning dew... Grin

Can't really get 2-stroke mowers these days, only ones I see are old petrol Flymo models (and some other brands that used the hover-mower principle), the B&S engine is definitely a 4-stroker... Smiley

PowerLee
Rising Star

The Flymo stuff is pretty good & parts back up isnt a problem.

One quirk we noticed with Ryobi internal combustion garden tools, the rev limiter was on the carb so if the fuel mixture / carb went wrong it was possible to over rev & destroy the engine.

Honda, Stihl elc fitted the rev limiter in the ignition coil making it impossible to over rev the engine.

Community Veteran

Yeah, 2-stroke engines can be over-revved quite easily and therefore destroyed (hence why I got the hedge trimmer attachment for my Ryobi 4-stroke strimmer, neighbour had a 2-stroke Ryobi and blew the engine!), 4-stroke engines though are a lot easier to limit the revs on, the valves can only work so fast before they start to lag behind and they hang open thus killing compression and therefore reducing the revs before throwing the piston rod... Smiley

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

After my comments about your petrol mower, what have I done ? Gone and bought one that's what !

I would have gone with Bosch but all the negative comments on even the expensive models made me think again.

Got one in the mountfield range, even they get the odd negative comment but nothing like the Bosch models.

Smiley

Community Veteran

Hopefully it's a Mountfield with a known-brand engine (E.G. Honda, Briggs, etc.), the cheaper no-name engines can be a bit fiddly to get spares for...

Community Veteran

The engine is described as a Mountfield RS 100 ohv.

So hopefully if it got their name on it spares should not be a problem, not that I am expecting to be ordering any spares !

Community Veteran

Hmm, I have a Mountfield SP414 out in the shed (belongs to the uncle's landlord, I'm just making sure it still exists!) with the RS100 on it, it's a simple engine, the carb is very similar to those used on Honda GX engines, so not too hard to get rebuild kits if need be, the rest of it, well, I guess there's people parting them out on ebay if need be... Smiley

I just don't use that mower as it takes too long to mow the grass with it, it's too small for the garden!! Grin