Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Law Changes Again For Smokers

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Law Changes Again For Smokers

Funniest thing out of it all is this
Drivers aged 17 will be able to smoke on their own in the car – although not to allow other people aged 18 to smoke.
you couldn't make it up could you. Grin
From October 1, the laws on smoking and e-cigarettes will change in Britain – making it illegal to smoke in cars with under-18s, among other things.  http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/next-month-the-law-on-smoking-and-e-cigs-changes-heres-how-5390650/
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Law Changes Again For Smokers

From the same date, it will alo be illegal for retailers to sell e-cigarettes or e-liquids to anyone under the age of 18.

Aside from the typo, that's kind of a non-law, as all reputable sellers of electronic cigarettes and consumables require people to be 18 or over, and the other sellers are usually selling rubbish that shouldn't even be on the market (as most of the time, it's sold down t'market!!)... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

should just ban smoking in cars, full stop.
if you can get a ticket for eating an apple whilst driving (driving without due care and attention), then surely smoking is in the same category.
so that covers the driver.
for passengers, one could argue that anything that is essentially "burning" could be a deemed a fire risk in an enclosed space (a space that is carrying a quantity of flammable liquid).
so that cover passengers.
Community Veteran

i wonder if the enforcement of such a law will be as effective as the one prohibiting the use of non-hands-free phones in cars?
Community Veteran

it'll be enforced just the same as any other traffic offence.
if it is spotted by an officer then it will be dealt with appropriately.
just the same as any other crime does.
a lack of mean to 100% enforce a law does not negate the need to have such a law.
it's impossible to 100% enforce the law that states one must not kill someone else, but does that mean we shouldn't have such a the law?
Community Veteran

A simplistic way to excuse a law that's clearly not being enforced in any meaningful way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

How many years is it since the SEAT belt law passed, over 20 now and there are STILL people not using them, never mind the 1000''s using mobiles.
Smoking in cars should have been banned many many years ago, how many times have I seen the DRIVER loose the fag/lighter/why while driving, or drop it, or chuck it out the window to come back in again. (mind you that is littering and should be charged again)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If applied properly, this new law could make our children a lot healthier.  If they're not allowed to travel in a car with a smoker they'll have to walk more (about time a lot of them learned to use their legs).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Walk you will have the police on you for harassing children by making them use their legs. When I was a kid the school was a mile away, no public transport or a car available. We used to walk both ways in all weathers.
These days if it is more than 100 yards they want to be driven there.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Kids walking to School are more risk from air pollution from CARS passing than they are in a car with a smoker !!!
A silly law that will be Extremely hard to enforce as Police still ignore people on phones while driving,, we are fast becoming a Nanny state Sad 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Quote from: rongtw
Kids walking to School are more risk from air pollution from CARS passing than they are in a car with a smoker !!!

that, of course, is absolute nonsense.
walking for a year compared to sitting in a car whilst someone is smoking - i'll let you work out which one is more hazardous to your health.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Sorry to disagree , where is the evidence that smoke in a car is worse then air pollution outside Huh  there isnt any because scientist cannot agree , some say yes some say no !
Also second hand smoke is also there when adults wait outside a school ,,, THIS is just a stupid LAW to placate a few namby pambys , the amount of extra smoke inhaled in a car makes NO difference to the total of smoke inhaled at HOME !!!
PS has no one heard of OPEN windows in a Car Huh 
Community Veteran

Quote from: rongtw
Sorry to disagree , where is the evidence that smoke in a car is worse then air pollution outside ?

the confined space is the important factor. surely even you would understand that.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Yes But like i say ,, no one heard that car windows open  Crazy Crazy
just like the nambys who complain about TV programs there is the Magic OFF switch  Lips are sealed 
Community Veteran

no one heard of simply not smoking in a car?
removing the health argument, smoking is surely something that could distract you from the task of actually driving the car and paying attention to your surroundings.
if eating something whilst driving can get you a ticket then smoking should be the same.