Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laundry detergents

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Laundry detergents

In the summer I went to see the in-laws with my OH who live in Florida
Had a great two weeks. Meant we just had to pay for flights which were £800 for two of us return - not to bad to fly from our regional airport direct to EWR then onto MCO.
One day we had gone with the in-laws to do their weekly grocery shopping, as we were staying with them, and went to Walmart (owners of Asda) and choice is absolutely unbelievable  Cheesy. Then we had gone down the laundry aisle and again unbelievable!  The amount you can get is huge. Also the detergent was quite different from what we have here in UK, it was in the form of liquid not gel like in the UK and not many people use powder either.  One brand Tide and another, Persil were in the liquid form as well as many other brands.  I tested the quality by making a stain on my shirt. Popped it in the washer (front loader) and 20 min wash the stain was out. This was a heavy stain  Shocked.  So after a glorious 2 weeks came back to the UK and looked for Tide (only to find its only in the USA) but found Persil. I found no detergents in a liquid form, only in a gel form. Did a similar stain on 20 min wash etc and stain partly came off.
Is there some regulation here in the UK to why we don't have liquid form of detergent and only the thick gel stuff?  The OH has asked her parents to send some over to the UK.
Thanks  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Laundry detergents

If I was in Florida, on holiday, I could find something better to do than making stains on my shirt and testing laundry detergent!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Haha we didn't do the fun side of Florida. Fortunately.
Not sure if I want to folk out £1000+ just on tickets.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

The standard entry to a Disney park for a day is now $105.
They are also introducing 'demand pricing' that charges different prices for busy and non-busy times to attempt to even out the customer flow.
I know a lot of people that were put of Disney after the police arrested a number of employees that were involved in a pedophile ring last year. It also involved other theme parks as well. Police were investigating if any visitors were also involved.
Community Veteran

Quote from: NorthEasterner
So after a glorious 2 weeks came back to the UK and looked for Tide (only to find its only in the USA) but found Persil. I found no detergents in a liquid form, only in a gel form. Did a similar stain on 20 min wash etc and stain partly came off.
Is there some regulation here in the UK to why we don't have liquid form of detergent and only the thick gel stuff?  The OH has asked her parents to send some over to the UK.
Thanks  Smiley

We used to have liquid detergents, but then the detergent companies decided it was a great idea to add thickening agents that bacteria loves to eat and turn a washing machine into a stinking, festering mess, all for the sake of them being "concentrated" (they're not, they're just really thick and horrible)...
The Persil you found in the US is actually Germany's version of Persil (made by Henkel I think), as my friend over in Texas uses that version of Persil, the one we have is a different beast, but shares the name, and as for Tide, you can get it in some places, but it can be pricey being an imported item, you'd be better off finding the german Persil really... Smiley
I just use lain, basic Daz powder myself, does the job, doesn't leave my clothes smelling rank like those perfumed detergents do, and it's cheap... Grin
Preacherlady
Grafter

Marks and Spencer do liquid detergents, I use the one for sensitive skin.  It works fine.  It does not have the nasty preservative(formalahyde?) in that most washing powders do that irritates my skin.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Tesco do liquid soap flakes which are very useful but expensive http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=285047284
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: artmo
They are also introducing 'demand pricing' that charges different prices for busy and non-busy times to attempt to even out the customer flow.
I know a lot of people that were put of Disney after the police arrested a number of employees that were involved in a pedophile ring last year. It also involved other theme parks as well. Police were investigating if any visitors were also involved.

Main reason - the kids weren't with us, been to Disney world before and done most of the theme parks  Cool
I presume that supermarket brands (some) will offer basic non concentrated non thick mess just plain liquid detergent?
I will look for the German equivalent. Maybe Amazon.de will be able to help.
Thanks all
NE
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

When I first saw this thread, I read it as Laundry Deterrents !!
Such as washing something red in with an old white garment, so I am not asked to do the washing again !!

Main reason - the kids weren't with us, been to Disney world before and done most of the theme parks   Cool

The kids are always with you, when you Visit Disney !!
Even when they are not !

We continue to visit WDW on a regular basis, love it.
We stay on site, at one of the Disney Hotels...
We being two adults, no Children most of the time !

As for detergents, we use the standard UK BIO washing powders, but only half the "specified" amount, with the water where we are, in Derbyshire.
We personally have no problem with the BIO element, some do.
Our machines don't clag up the dispenser, by ensuring no lumps in the powder in the dispensing drawer.
We have tried liquids (UK) but find powders more effective.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Is there some regulation here in the UK to why we don't have liquid form of detergent and only the thick gel stuff?  The OH has asked her parents to send some over to the UK.

I doubt it.. the USA is normally stricter on chemical risks to human life than we are. The UK doesn't normally give a rats if it will affect someones bank account somewhere.
I recently bought a brake caliper rewind kit / tool. The instructions inside contained a health warning that the product contains a chemical known to the state of california to cause birth defects.
It mentioned nothing about the UK. Strangely our country seems to be becoming sicker and sicker.. and our leaders have been known to sell the nation down the river more than once.
I personally reckon it would be something to do with the money though.. maybe its too expensive to make the same detergent here (eg ingredients are expensive or manufacturing is more expensive).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Main reason - the kids weren't with us, been to Disney world before and done most of the theme parks   Cool
I presume that supermarket brands (some) will offer basic non concentrated non thick mess just plain liquid detergent?
I will look for the German equivalent. Maybe Amazon.de will be able to help.
Thanks all
NE

just got to aldi or lidl or similar and check out their products, they flog non concentrated liquid detergent in large bottles the only problem you might find is the brand name is different from what your used to seeing no need to use amazon or similar for overpriced items when they stock them in store Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Is that Almat or something. Will look in Aldi p some point this week. €15 for a bottle of detergent 40 or so washes. No thanks.
NE
Community Veteran

Just bought that. Almat super liquid concentrate 42 washes £3.29.
I thought I would give it a go as with low temp / less water sometimes a little powder residue shows on dark clothes.
Community Veteran

Had a wander round Poundstetcher earlier this morning, they had some "professional" liquid-liquids for £9.99 a piece, one was a Daz 100 wash jug o' blue stuff, the other, I can't recall oddly, but it was 60 wash I think, but was of a smelly kind of liquid which I dislike... Grin
Community Veteran

I was pleased with the first wash.
Actually removed the stains that usually only get faded a bit.