cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest! Yahoo! enters! browser! market! for! absolutely! no! reason! at! all!

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Latest! Yahoo! enters! browser! market! for! absolutely! no! reason! at! all!

Yahoo! enters the browser market... for absolutely no reason at all! Remember Yahoo! Us neither. Apparently, they used to have something to do with the internet. Well, whatever it is they used to do, they’ve made an announcement saying that they plan to launch an internet browser.
This, presumably, is a bid to revive Yahoo! who have just lost their chief executive and, more crucially, is absolutely redundant to the entire world.
Of course, this Yahoo! browser has Google’s Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer to deal with. This browser will be called ‘Axis’. We await ‘Axis of Evil’ headlines should there be any privacy issues.
Apparently, there’ll be no search result pages, instead, users will get their search results shown to them in a horizontal display of thumbnails. That sounds like it’ll crash older computers, doesn’t it? That said, tech-heads have been rather positive about it.
Rafe Needleman, technology site Cnet’s editor-at-large, said: “Axis does nonetheless have a much better way of getting you from searching to visiting a Web page. The browser works well. This is an aggressive product for the struggling Yahoo to launch out of its search group… The Axis browser may not conquer the world, but it is a very strong mobile product with an important new design concept for search. It’s also a gutsy business move from Yahoo. It’s rather refreshing.”
“Our search strategy is predicated on two core beliefs — one, that people want answers, not links and two, that consumer-facing search is ripe for innovative disruption,” said Shashi Seth, senior vice president, connections, Yahoo! Inc. “With Axis, we have re-defined and re-architected[sic] the search and browse experience from the ground up.”
That’d be a re-architecting[sic] of an interface that no-one has really complained about for some years. Axis could make-or-break Yahoo! Place your bets, now!

30 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Latest! Yahoo! enters the browser market… for absolutely no reason at all

A drowning man will clutch at straws Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I rather liked the axis of evil reference.

James
Grafter

Thought you might!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Talk about re-inventing the wheel........ Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Un
Apparently, they used to have something to do with the internet.

Their biggest mistale was closing down Y! Chat as it was very popular back then. Also their email platform was very good but then they started ripping it up for the new version. They have allowed us to revert back to the old version but certain things still don't work like they once did. In short, yahoo don't listen to their users and don't intend to. They just have a gung-ho approach and do random things as and when they see fit with no apparent motive or use.
The news of a new Yahoo browser is years overdue IMO. I'm surprised they didn't turn to this random idea years ago when everyone else was doing it. Two words: Horse, Bolted.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Who will go bust first?

• Hewlett-Packard

• Oracle

• Yahoo

Fixes: 105

Yahoo! why? because:

and surely the title should have been..
Latest! Yahoo! enters! the! browser! market!… for! absolutely! no! reason! at! all!
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Re: Latest! Yahoo! enters! browser! market! for! absolutely! no! reason! at! all!

Indeed!

Community Veteran

Quote from: Un
Who will go bust first?

• Hewlett-Packard

• Oracle

• Yahoo

Actually I reckon HP to be honest. Had dealings with them years ago and their attitude stunk.
Yahoo are definitely going down hill but they still have a pretty decent email platform thats still quite popular. Their disposable email address feature is brilliant and the best of all the free providers (including gmail). Unfortunately they disabled pop3 access on my account years ago which did annoy me. The only reason I've stuck with yahoo mail is because over the years I've had tons of different email addresses at various providers including my own domain etc and the yahoo one has been the most reliable. It's online 24/7 I don't have to renew the domain, pay for hosting etc. Plus unlimited storage means I don't have to wipe any of my 20,000 emails.
Can you imagine how stuffed I'd be if they did go down the pan? - I'd have 20k emails to forward to another address  Lips are sealed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Latest! Yahoo! enters! browser! market! for! absolutely! no! reason! at! all!

Community Veteran

Just skim read it and saw nothing relating to yahoo so did a CTRL + F and still didn't find yahoo in there.
Whats the link pierre?
Fixes: 105

assume it's relative to companies going bust?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Not unheard of is it. The bigger they are the harder they fall.
There's been a few biggies to fall over the years for not listening to their customers - Woolworths being a fine example. One of their scams that still springs to mind was he laptops they were selling at £249 reduced from £449. 6 months later still on sale and the specs were still the same as any other laptop in the £2-300 price range. I remember having a few other spats with Woolies over other things that they clearly didn't give a damn about and their attitude was always the same - we don't give a rats. When you refuse to listen to your customers thats the beginning of the end and for Woolies the point was proven.
Thats why HP get my nomination for the first to go bust out of those 3 companies. I had numerous spats with them years ago and they point blank refused to believe what was on the screen in front of me telling me it was impossible and they should know their own systems better than me etc. When you start inplying your customers are liars instead of listening and solving the issue then you've lost half the fight already. Yahoo do actually listen.. they just do it about a year later when people are starting to jump ship.
James
Grafter

I didn't think they were given much of a choice with closing Yahoo chat?
I think that a lot of the old search engines, yahoo!, altavista, askjeeves, etc, stood still and google took advantage.