Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Scam

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Latest Scam

Well I'm sure it's a scam.....

Phone call to say the loft insulation in our attic is the type that attracts damp and we need to come and do a survey of your loft.

When asked who they were was given a fancy title that suggested it was an official government thing.

Further questions resulted in my manager will call you back to confirm who we are.......

No thanks.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Latest Scam

It's the latest phone scam, @gleneagles . I suggest you bookmark and use http://uk.whocalledme.net/ to check the current spam call baby.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

would be Interesting to know, how they KNOW, that your loft insulation is "faulty"...  HuH? ? ?Undecided

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 'They' don't - the just robo-call a list or sequence of numbers, and if you pick up, they launch into a scripted spiel.

John
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

They just say the make of loft insulation used in your house is known to attract damp....

If it was true they are a bit late in discovering that.............we have lived here for the past 27 years.

Guess someone living in a new property would be more likely to be taken in....

Amazed they did not come out with some story that the insulation was not fire proof....

We are born into history and history is born into us.
jab1
Seasoned Hero

As I said earlier - they don't 'know' anything about youor your loft, they just auto-dial a block of numbers and hope to catch someone. Sadly, they obviously do catch enough unawares, but as people on the site I linked above are repeatedly told - if you get a call you are not expecting, from a number you don't recognise, regard it as spam and ignore it.

I don't know what would happen if you accepted their 'offer', but I suspect they would either say 'there is an inspection fee' (in the £100's) and then just not turn up, or come and do the 'survey', say 'yup. we'll have to rip it out and replace it - price is £xx - in the thousands, and it must be paid upfront.

In other words, treat with extreme caution, and regard all such calls as 100% bogus.

John
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Here is latest scam by Caroline Lucas.....the comments from people living in Brighton are very revealing..

https://order-order.com/2020/02/19/standards-commissioner-launches-caroline-lucas-investigation/

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Yup, she really ought to know better, @wotsup , but you must remember she is a politician, and their standards are so much higher lower than ours.

Not quite the same 'scam' as that posted by @gleneagles , though.

John
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 wrote:

Not quite the same 'scam' as that posted by @gleneagles , though.

Argueably much worse because she is in a position of trust and supposed to be a role model, and remember she is also a 'law maker' - so has to be squeaky clean ( in theory anyway ),  add this to being a green MP and taking frequent long haul flights etc. well don't really know how she can lecture anyone.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Agreed on your analysis, but her behaviour just makes her look duplicitous, the actions of the phone scammers has a direct effect on those poor souls who fall for the scam.

John
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@jab1 wrote:

Yup, she really ought to know better, @wotsup , but you must remember she is a politician, and their standards are so much higher lower than ours.

Her reading standard must definitely be low, as in 'can't' ...

Quote;

Lucas said “I do not believe I have done anything wrong” despite the House of Commons Code of Conduct explicitly stating. “Members are reminded that tours on the Parliamentary estate which would otherwise be available at nil cost… should under no circumstances be offered as raffle or auction prizes.” 

Edit: typo

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN wrote:

Her reading standard must definitely be low, as in 'can't' ...

Quote;

Lucas said “I do not believe I have done anything wrong” despite the House of Commons Code of Conduct explicitly stating. “Members are reminded that tours on the Parliamentary estate which would otherwise be available at nil cost… should under no circumstances be offered as raffle or auction prizes.” 

And need we add 'definitely not to raise funds for political parties '......

Strat
Fixes: 505

@shutter wrote:

would be Interesting to know, how they KNOW, that your loft insulation is "faulty"...  HuH? ? ?Undecided

Maybe they flew a drone equipped with infra-red sensors over the house in question.

They could deduce the level of loft insulation from the heat escaping from the roof.

A bit like observing house roofs after a snow fall.

However it's a highly unlikely scenario.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

You could probably have 400mm of insulation in the loft and they would still phone you, they are probably working to get government ( read taxpayer ) funds and these people often claim to be local council government backed. 

Similar thing a few years ago with cavity wall insulation in our area, I knew people that had this insulation blown in and shortly afterwards the windows started misting up and damp patches / mould on the inside walls - and had to buy a dehumidifier.  now I know only about 2 houses out of the 10 in our little street had this done and both said it made no difference to energy bills... our houses are around 20 years old and already had cavity insulation in the form of expanded polystyrene sheets fitted,  so I do not know how they dealt with that, trying to blow extra insulation in,  but they never offered a survey to find out what was already in the cavity... more worrying still is that a couple of weeks after I told the bloke to get lost his company came around again and my wife answered the door,  the bloke told her that it was 'now compulsory to get cavity insulation installed and that from next year you would not be able to sell the house unless it was done'.........

I wrote to local MP and the council telling them about the strong-arm tactics being used and disgraceful methods being used to make money from government grant schemes.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@Strat wrote:

Maybe they flew a drone equipped with infra-red sensors over the house in question.

But, but... the IR sensors wouldn't be able to detect the phone number.  🤔

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N