cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LastPass is Being Acquired by LogMeIn

Steve
Seasoned Pro

LastPass is Being Acquired by LogMeIn

Seems the company has sold out to LogMeIn. Just retrieved all my passwords to my new password manager and closed my LastPass account. It's a shame because I've been using it for a few years but I cannot ignore the bad things about this LogMeIn company.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/93778/20151012/lastpass-users-see-red-over-logmein-acquisition-thr...

https://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=185955

by Merchy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:02 am
LMI screwed over both Free and Paid users. They have fantastic software but the company is run by tone-deaf, greedy vultures. I always thought the LMI Free was too good to last and I wasn't surprised that they finally started charging. However, the manner in which they did it was appalling - giving users seven days to find an alternative and move any users over. As a paying Central customer, I thought I'd be safe from their predatory ways but I was wrong. Every year for the last three years I was thanked for my loyalty by having my costs double at renewal time. I went from $250 for approximately 125 users to almost $1400 in that time frame. Needless to say, I found an alternative for almost a 1/10th of that cost. It isn't as good but it's amazing for the price.
I can only assume that LP will have a peaceful transition to LMI for a year or so before they alienate the user base with unrealistic pricing and little to no time to migrate to a different product. Eventually they will integrate LP into LMI and you will have to buy the entire over-priced package just to use LP features.
Quoting LMI's own announcement = "In the near-term, both the Meldium and LastPass product lines will continue to be supported, with longer-term plans to center around a singular identity management offering based on the LastPass service and brand."
Goodbye LP. Enjoy the buy-out $. It was a great run and I hope the current team will come up with a new product once LMI ruins LP as we know it. See you around the Interwebs...
16 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: LastPass is Being Acquired by LogMeIn

Steve Gibson had the co-founder Joe Siegrist on his 'Security Now' podcast tonight, I'd suggest listening to what he had to say when it's up (first ten minutes or so)
As an aside, i've been trying alternatives over the last few days and there aren't any good replacements it seems, so i'm staying put for the time being.
Fixes: 105

1Password is a fantastic password manager, it's not free however.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've got a great password manager, it's called a notebook, as statistically speaking, it's safer to keep your passwords on pen & paper which has to be physically taken than it is to store them on a computer that can be hacked... Grin
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've also closed my Lastpass account and am  trialling StickyPassword Premium. Seems pretty good to me, and costs are reasonable.
Tried Keepass several times over the years but never really got on well with it, despite it being free and therefore very tempting!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I never even heard of either of them! A quick google shows them to be password managers? - I remember the days of gator which was a free password manager but i think they ran into trouble for something.. got a hunch they were secretly collecting user data - like real player or something like that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

whats wrong with keeppass?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I wont be jumping ship not till my current membership expires anyway, wont bother renewing it anyway as I rarely use the Android version and it is very clumsy compared to the FF one.
As long as the free version keeps working I will keep using it.
Tried keepass today, lot more clunky than lastpass. I used to use roboform when I was an M$ user, but they don't have a Linux version.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I use Keepassx now it's cross platform and on Linux it can autotype your log in details to the website you are logging into ( only works on Linux )
https://www.keepassx.org/
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: dvorak
1Password is a fantastic password manager, it's not free however.

Not on Android it isn't. Nor the browser extensions.
They all fall short in some way or other.

it's fine on Android, has it's own keyboard to populate username and password for you so don't need to copy and paste.
Haven't had any issues with the browser extensions, works well for populating password and credit card details.
Will Moderate For Thanks
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: dvorak
it's fine on Android, has it's own keyboard to populate username and password for you so don't need to copy and paste.

Precisely why I didn't like it, I don't want to use their [Censored] keyboard.
Plus Its fugly as hell, featured limited and they have the audacity to want a fiver for it.

horses for courses Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I just let windows remember all of the passwords with its built in sync and save password manager (that syncs the info to my account on all my devices which can prove rather handy when out and about using the mobile) I've never understood why you would want to pay yet another company to store such information on your behalf, as I understand matters all os's have the same functionality to some degree or another, indeed logmein was viewed some years back as being a giant security hole so wide as to not be viable for any company interested in protecting its systems /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

if you use a variety of OS' that doesn't help - also with 1password it's local storage so no passwords in the cloud.
Will Moderate For Thanks