cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last Journey of Discovery - Old transport split off

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Last Journey of Discovery - Old transport split off

and Sprite should go and have a look at http://www.nrm.org.uk/NRM/PlanaVisit/VisitShildon

28 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Last Journey of Discovery

Burma or Myanmar? Why does the West still refer to it as Burma?
Saw a program recently about the railways and it showed a list of Locomotives and rolling stock that BR had earmarked to be saved/preserved after one of the major shake ups and it was a very large percentage of the rolling stock. So it seem that at the time BR was thinking about preserving the history of the train. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Bodmin railway uses slam door carriages on there trains img 0130
The Tanfield Railway uses Slam Door carriages img 0346
the Narrow Gauge Rheidol uses slam door img 1013
The Shildon Museum has slam door  Img 1210  and the Roay train slam door img 1212
(all my own pics)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: itsme
Burma or Myanmar? Why does the West still refer to it as Burma?

No idea about all of that - i just vaguely remember reading something about it in the last 72 hours.
Quote from: itsme
Saw a program recently about the railways and it showed a list of Locomotives and rolling stock that BR had earmarked to be saved/preserved after one of the major shake ups and it was a very large percentage of the rolling stock. So it seem that at the time BR was thinking about preserving the history of the train. 

Yes BR were certainly a great bunch with great ambition. I personally think John Major should be tried for treason against the state for what he's done. All that remains of BRB is now known as BRBR (British Railways Board Residuary Ltd) however despite the government planning to close them down on 31/3/2013, they're still going down fighting. I've just heard back from them that BRB will still be living on in other forms despite the Tories best efforts  Grin  Cool
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some more Tanfield Pictures
and a lot of other pics availabe  this is from page 5 on here  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanfield-railway/ ;
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Last Journey of Discovery - Old trains split off

Why split off??, it was chit chat and you left some behind, also one on here is a mix of planes and trains
Community Veteran

Those are the real old school slammers pierre. What I meant was these:

Technically a class 421. Ok they were a bit ugly but by god they were comfy, fast and a seat of the pants ride on a straight through service! I only know of one thats been preserved and it's not actually a 421 but similar. When I was younger I used to think they were dirty horrible old things (and in fairness they did need an overhaul like in the mid 80's) however these new plastic trains with all the fans, air con, LED displays etc are even worse. I can't sleep on them and they always make me feel a bit tense for some reason. They're also worse for the snow too. I was lucky enough to find one slam door in preservation and a few odd carriages with the old BR (80-90's) interior recently and having visited them I was chuffed to bits. Even the old smell of the aging wood is still present etc.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Why split off??, it was chit chat and you left some behind, also one on here is a mix of planes and trains

Yes I have to admit I was a bit shocked about the split to be honest. Most threads around here that mention anything engineering related usually cross into other areas of engineering so i'm surprised it's caused so much offence really.
Steve
Pro

Sounds to me like our local resident " artmo " wasn't to pleased and complained to oldjim who now takes full responsibility for his own actions.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just found some burried spitfires in wooden crates waiting to be asembled, last seen 67 years ago
The planes were buried in 1945 by the RAF amid fears that they could either be used or destroyed by foreign forces, but in the intervening years they have not been located.
At the time they were unused, still in crates, and yet to be assembled
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17710598
Community Veteran

Now, now pierre, this is supposed to be a train thread right?  Wink (Trains / Planes I love them both along with helicopters and to a milder extent boats and subs however I thought I should mention that you're at risk of being pounced upon by OldJim).
Quote from: Steve
Sounds to me like our local resident " artmo " wasn't to pleased and complained to oldjim who now takes full responsibility for his own actions.

Sounds about right. First thing i thought at the time too.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

only trying to get back on track Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Last Journey of Discovery - Old transport split off

seen our thread title lately  Cheesy Cheesy Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Last Journey of Discovery - Old transport split off

don't want to go off the rails