Fixes: 13

Last Days Of Steam

BBC4 at 20:00 tonight.....
Wink
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Last Days Of Steam

Bummer, I missed it!  Angry I would have enjoyed that too. I was fast asleep by that time yesterday (new job - early mornings, many miles driven etc)
IPlayer?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dzzdc/Timeshift_Series_8_The_Last_Days_of_Steam/
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Smiley Wink
Community Veteran

Forgot to mention.... it is a repeat... so you may well have already seen it  !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Thanks - just watched it Smiley
Inerestingly, a few good points came up..
We don't value things we have until they're gone, we only use things we value when we're going to loose them (eg the last day of service) and we seem to expect these things to last forever even if we expect others to pay for it at a loss  Crazy
We're british I suppose  Wink
Community Veteran

All the above....... TRUE !  Wink
Community Veteran

One other point annoyed me in that program.. One of the blokes said that steam "had to go" because everyone had had enough of it. The carriages were dirty, run down etc and steam had passed its sell by date.
What a load of rubbish. As always, it's the british way of forcing changes through by blaming something else - the carriages were crap so thats steams fault is it? What a load of rubbish.
Just like closing down all the routes that Beeching axed. Sure, I can understand axing the train services, but ripping up the rails was a bit drastic and has only served to cripple this country in the later years. Look at us now - crap public transport, crap roads, over priced running costs for cars and train passenger numbers have shot through the roof.
The problem with this country is that those at the top always think they can solve problems by dealing with it indirectly OR using over kill. That may of worked before the industrial revolution when we still relied on horses and carts but the country is trying to grow and is being hampered by stupid decisions about everything. We're in the 21st century now - I think its time our MPs and other top dogs stopped pratting around and did things properly..
/rant
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It was all part of a slow process to remove the country's dependence on coal.

And now there are murmurs of reopening closed pits as commercially viable once more.
Community Veteran

Yes I've heard similar rumours over the last few years - with this clean coal tech they keep banging on about and carbon capturing I'm sure it won't be long before they turn to it.
Either way getting rid of coal still doesn't excuse Beeching or the government of the time from shooting us all in the foot.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There is something about Trains and steam engines that fascinate many people & I guess it's possibly a collection of things such as the power , smell or simple simplicity of something that can appear to work for centuries.
I Have always intended to have a look at Fred Debinah's  place in Bolton which is open to the public and not far from where I live.
It would be interesting to know the total number of Steam trains still running from the full size ones that occasionally run in Lancashire & Yorkshire to the many miniature railways in Wales that run on a daily basis, also what's the longest  continuous  Journey you could take on a steam train, is it from Preston to Fort William ? 
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
There is something about Trains and steam engines that fascinate many people & I guess it's possibly a collection of things such as the power , smell or simple simplicity of something that can appear to work for centuries.

Personally for me I think its got something to do with the length of them and the fact that they're so incredibly big and long that you can walk about in them. Plus the points have always fasincated me - how a train can move so smoothly from one track onto another..
I dunno.. something has always fascinated me about them along with the disused railway stuff thats out there. Something weirdly fun about imagining them once being in use..

The smell of a steam and oil/grease mixture. Cool
I had the same smell when involved in the maintenance of industrial boilers Cool
Community Veteran

You say that, I'm a volunteer at one heritage line and you really can't mistake the oily greasy smell when walking between the trains. It's something you just can't seem to get anywhere else!
Weird.. they're only big lumps of metal on two strips of metal yet they're so fascinating..