cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laser Eye surgery

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Laser Eye surgery

Correcting vision using a laser has been available for years and I have never given any thought to getting it done for two reasons,
The cost and if anything went wrong it could not be reversed, however I know 3 people who have recent had it done and all 3 said it was the best thing they ever had done. The cost has also come down by a considerable amount.
Has anyone on this forum had their vision corrected this way or know of anyone who has had it done and expressed an opinion about whether or not it was worth it ?
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Laser Eye surgery

I know three people who have had it done.  They all went to Moorfields where the cost was much higher than at the High Street opticians.  Two of them were delighted but the third one was not so happy.  Nothing wrong with the surgery but I think she expected more from it than what she got.
Apparently, it is common practice to correct  one eye for long and one for short vision.  I joked with them that they would be walking round in circles.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

That could really cause problems with driving as the peripheral vision at one side may be terrible
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I also recall reading somewhere that your vision will continue to change following surgery and you may need glasses after 7 - 10 years.
Not sure if you could have a second lot of surgery ?
Community Veteran

I'm not sure about a second lot of surgery but they can do adjustments to the treatment to correct any problems you may have initially.
I asked at my hospital about laser treatment and the eye nurse said that none of the 3 eye surgeons had had it done but 2 of them wore glasses. 
Javert
Grafter

I looked into this “generally” just as a matter of interest - personally, I wouldn’t have it done - Contacts + specs serve me well!  Last year I met a former colleague in town and she was wearing dark glasses.  She explained that she and her daughter had just returned from having had Laser Eye surgery done at Moorfields - but she added that she would still have to use Reading Glasses.  She was very pleased with the whole procedure and how they were treated; her only “moan” was about the smell when the laser burns what it has to burn.
When I was reading about Moorfields - in the comment column one person pointed out that most of the staff wears glasses/contacts - none had had the Laser Surgery.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Two comments; a few years ago when talking about this to a former optician he replied "when I allow my family to have this procedure, then I will recommend it to you. The optician has never changed his mind.
A much more recent optician tells me because of my prescription (which has a fairly marked astigmatism in one eye) laser surgery would not entirely cure my vision and would need reading glasses afterwards.
The irreversibility of any less than perfect procedure is what really puts me off though. Its a heck of a risk to take with no way back, you would need to be very sure its what you want to do and have complete trust in the procedure.
Not for me thanks I'll stick to glasses.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Community Veteran

You might choose to read through this before committing yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Petlew

Me too.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My eyes still change requiring adjustments to the lenses in my spectacles. Laser eye surgery does not have that flexibility. As I understand it the procedure works most times but there are no guarantees.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

And that AlaricAdair is the problem, having it done if your eyes are subject to progressive degeneration and we all to some extent, the older you get the more often your (spectacle) prescription is likely to change, with glaucoma and cataracts becoming significant problems later in life.
Because of a family history of glaucoma I'm obliged to have a full blown hospital eye examination once sometimes twice a year (fortunately I'm on the edge of not needing any treatment...yet) the consultants consistently shrug their shoulders when asked about laser surgery.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew

Seen two treatments go wrong with Laser treatment, glasses for me.
Mind you I'd opt for a memory implant so I could remember where I left my glasses
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Mind you I'd opt for a memory implant so I could remember where I left my glasses

Now that's another problem.  I have so many pairs of glasses around the house but can never find a pair when I need them Sad
Fixes: 47

Thankfully I'm not yet at the stage where I need glasses on to find a missing pair.
Having, currently only one pair that would be a problem.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation