Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laser Eye Surgery

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Laser Eye Surgery

Two internet friends..... have had Laser Eye Surgery, to correct their eye sight problems... One is male, aged 77, and used to wear glasses all the time... he was not allowed to drive at night, due to his eyesight problems. 

I think he had the Laser surgery on the NHS, but cannot be sure of that... he lives in Harrogate.. ( Arrigit to the locals ! )

The other is female, aged 64, and lives in an affluent housing area north of Bournemouth,  She paid a few thousand pounds, to have it done "private"...

Case number one.... he had one eye done,  and when that was clear of the bloodshot effect, ( about 10 days later ) he had the other one done... after another 10 days, he tells me that he can see perfectly with no use of glasses, and he is also allowed to drive at night.  He is, to say the least, very pleased, that he has had the op(s) done.

Case number two... She told me that it was a very painful operation, she has been suffering headaches, and pain around the eyeball sockets, and she could not see clearly.... Obviously, she has reported this to the surgeon, and he has said it is "normal" for some people to experience that kind of pain , but no comment on the sight not being what was expected...   that was 6 weeks ago )...today, I received a "catch up" email, saying she still could not see properly, and, indeed, she used a "LARGE" size font  ( 24 ) to be able to read what she had typed on the email... (it was still large when I received it! ! ! ) ... and that she was still experiencing the pain. Her husband has to drive her everywhere, as she cannot see well enough to drive, even with her glasses !.. I shall reply in "large" font, so that she can read it  ! 

I wonder where she stands, viz a viz getting her money back, for incompetent surgery...

I think the "general impression" is that "Private" health care, is supposed to be superior to the NHS...but this kind of thing does not impress me...

She has been on some facebook groups, who have had this kind of surgery,  so maybe there is something there, that she can get sorted..

I am certain, that I would not want to go through that ,... I`ll keep my glasses on, thank you..

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Laser Eye Surgery

@shutter wrote:

I wonder where she stands, viz a viz getting her money back, for incompetent surgery...

If she paid even a small amount towards the 'thousands' (up to 30,000 ISTR) by credit card she'll have the fall-back protection of 'Section 75'.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

I can't help, but my wife had hers done 3 years ago and hasn't looked back. The optician said he couldn't see the scar unless really looking hard for it. My wife also had a astigmatism at the time, so not straight forward. 

It all depends on how your friend paid. Anything involving credit (card, loan, etc), have a word with the lender as the consumer credit act applies.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have private heart care and there is no huge difference I can see with a few exceptions.

1. You don't have to wait to long.
2. You get a room of your own when in hospital.
3. You pay for it.

Those that practice 'Private' Healthcare are the same ones you'd see if you were with the NHS, the only difference being No. 3 above.

If I were her I'd go and ask for a second opinion, something to which she is entitled, to see what, if anything, can be done to rectify her situation.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

My daughter had laser eye surgery about 4 years ago ( private) no problems to date.

Neighbour had it done (nhs) about 6 weeks ago on one eye, still painful and vision in that eye is much worse than prior to surgery.

I would not be prepared to take the gamble despite the hype....often wondered how they would react if you went into one of those shops offering laser eye surgery and the person you spoke to was wearing glasses ? You can guess what the question would be.

Highlighted
Pro

I wear specs. They're a nuisance. Just been up to get the post in the rain, and they were all mucked up.

Mind you to be fair it was raining so much my eyes were full of water anyway.

Would I have eye surgery to not wear glasses?

No way! Not without a 100% cast iron guarantee of success.

Lots of horror stories online.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

I’ve worn my glasses for so long i’d probably feel naked and vulnerable without them...

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'd stick to wearing my glasses. I not a great fan of pain 😀
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I wonder what treatment we are talking about here. Are we talking about cataract eye surgery? 

The NHS does not provide the laser surgery advertised by private opticians AFAIK. Three friends of mine had this surgery. Performed at Moorfields private wing at around £6k for both eyes.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Problem is that the quick fix in-and-out profitable lucrative ops are snapped up by private sector while the NHS gets the longer term chronic problems.  You can bet your socks though that when things go wrong in private sector the NHS is left to pick up the pieces.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@wotsup wrote: You can bet your socks though that when things go wrong in private sector the NHS is left to pick up the pieces.

Probably but maybe it depends on the consent form - how many really read the entire form. The last one I had made for morbid reading.

I do know of a work colleague who went private to have laser treatment, being told at the initial appointment that he didn't need laser treatment. It would be best if the cataracts were removed! No one on the NHS seemed to have picked them up. He'd got to the state of being unable to drive, write etc. Once they were treated he could do everything once again. We might complain about private treatment but it isn't all gloss on either side of the fence.

Would I go for laser treatment? No chance.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I wear glasses for driving and a different pair for reading - other than that and not to spoil my looks ( Wink ) I don't wear them.

As for any kind of eye surgery I really would have to be on the point of blindness to even consider it and whilst I really do sympathise with those who have post surgery problems, cosmetically or even for slight correction, it is not a road I would want to go down.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

I do know of a work colleague who went private to have laser treatment, being told at the initial appointment that he didn't need laser treatment. It would be best if the cataracts were removed! No one on the NHS seemed to have picked them up. He'd got to the state of being unable to drive, write etc. Once they were treated he could do everything once again. We might complain about private treatment but it isn't all gloss on either side of the fence.

I asked earlier if we were talking about cataract surgery  but the OP didn't say. Cataract surgery is done with laser. It is the most common operation performed on the NHS and one of the safest. I had one cataract removed a few years ago and pleased that I had it done.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@artmo   I am not sure, what the exact surgery was.... but she is definitely "not happy".. as the consultant surgeon, more or less promised her, that it would be almost painless,.... maybe he was talking about the ACTUAL surgery pain...

She did mention, that the surgeon suggested a "more serious" route, as she is a keen photographer... ( travels the world doing photo shoots).. and that his "course", would mean she could see perfectly at all distances... something he linked to her photography, ( was that a sneaky way of increasing his fees  ? ? ? ) who knows...????Huh

Highlighted
Pro

I know about 20 people who have had laser eye surgery (including my wife).  Most were for cataracts but 3 were for glaucoma.  2 were private, the rest NHS.   Only one had any problems, which I suspect was because he was a belligerent old codger who wouldn't do what anybody told him.

The main difference seems to be that if both eyes needed fixing, private treatment did both eyes at the same time but the NHS let the first eye stabilise before doing the second.  The NHS method seems safer to me.