cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lane markings

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Lane markings

We have just had a major bottleneck removed, at a 5 ways junction, that was served by a roundabout, that was designed and built somewhere in the late 1950`s !... big enough for 4 trees in the middle.... Swindon has it`s "Magic Roundabout"   Leigh Park, had it`s "Manic Roundabout"... it was murder trying to negotiate it...

now it is about 10 times the size... junctions are traffic light controlled, and the lane markings actually "flow" the traffic in the correct route...

However... anyone new to the area, could easily get flummoxed.. due to the stupidity of the road marking par to this very expensive upgrad..

Why don`t they make the lettering smaller, on the road surface... so that it actually means something to a stranger..

HVNT  PMTH LNDN LPK are just some of the abbreviations ... that are stencilled, or whatever, on the tarmac...  unfortunately, they are very close to the roundabout, and it is difficult to change lanes, should you be in the wrong one... Even the new signs at the side of the road, don`t give lane positions,   just the road direction off the roundabout.

8 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Lane markings

I like the palindromic markings on the road near me:

Capture.JPG

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

A couple more...)

C`HAM    F`HAM  ... referring to COSHAM  ( not excacly a   " L    o   n    g "       place name,)  and  FAREHAM  again, not too long...

To be fair, both those are on a three lane approach to a BIG roundabout, and there are good "overhead" gantry signs, to help choose the correct lane, well in advance..

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I hear you. We have one near us in Carmarthen at the A40/A48 junction and it's a complete and utter frigging nightmare to negotiate. How hard can it be to design clear and shown in good time road markings on a roundabout?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Huh!! its my experience that you can erect all the signs you want, but there is an element of driver that takes no notice of them until the last moment and then causes mayhem by needing to cross lanes.

I can take you to the junction of the M25 (from Heathrow) and southbound M3 that is sign posted very clearly for over a mile before the junction and repeated at regular intervals, and still a hundred yards before the left slip, a number of vehicles will be trying to get from lane 3 M25 to the 2 lanes on the left for the M3.

The reason; some people just don't take any notice of road signs.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indeed, and all well and good but that is no reason not to have good signage where necessary is it?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@petlew   I know the "slip" road, junction you are referring to.... I don`t think it is a case of drivers not seeing/reading the signs... it is more to do with " Queue Jumping"... i.e. staying on the M25 lanes at a higher speed than the slip road.

Fixes: 47

I like Satnavs when you come across something like that.

You are in the left hand lane for safety as you don't know the area, all lanes are slow queueing.

Sarky woman's voice "Take the right hand lane"

Yeah, you try it you silly [-Censored-]"

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter here's an element of truth in what you say, that and there is no doubt some confusion between the M3 (to Southampton) and the A3 junction (to Portsmouth) which is around 6 or 7 miles further on the M25.

But I disagree that queue jumping is the major cause, yes, there is some, but for what purpose; the M25 at that point is the slower road carrying the greater amount of traffic, the M3 slips are usually much lighter. The M25 is 5 lanes wide at that point (3xM25, 2xM3 slips N and S) the majority of queue jumping is from the M3 slips into the heavy traffic M25, which is often left so late to the pointed dividing markings between the M25 and M3 slips, where it causes more problems to the M25 than the M3, I've actually seem some cross these markings and continue onto the hard shoulder before pulling over in to the M25 quite often causing following cars to break violently. But this doesn't cause much trouble for those who are correctly on the M3 slips, its those who cross two or three lanes of M25 to get on the M3 slips a couple of hundred yards before they run out of road that cause the problems.

Some of the worst offenders of this I've noticed are foreign HGV artic drivers.

You've probably guessed by now this is a piece of road I know very well indeed. And have seen it all there!! 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.