Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landlines ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Landlines ?

Do you need your landline ? survey here says 60% only have a landline to get BB

http://hexus.net/business/news/telcos/99625-survey-60-per-cent-uk-folk-take-landlines-broadband/

i liked this In summary "the British public are desperate to say goodbye to the landline," 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
30 REPLIES
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Re: Landlines ?

Don't have a landline at all. Lucky so and so on FTTP  Smiley

salmo
Rising Star

Afraid I need a landline for the phone. The mobile signal in the house varies from poor to nothing. I'm with EE but other networks are as bad. I'm not keen on standing in the garden in winter to talk to someone on the mobile phone. 

ffox
Rising Star

salmo wrote:

Afraid I need a landline for the phone. The mobile signal in the house varies from poor to nothing. I'm not keen on standing in the garden in winter to talk to someone on the mobile phone. 

You're not the only one!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Apologies to ffox for editing this post which, in fact, was not a full quote of the previous post. I have re-instated his original post.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For those in low mobile signal houses, you can get something called a Premicell or GSM Gateway, which is basically a mobile phone in a box that you can hook up a real telephone to, and you can connect an external antenna so you get the best signal you can by mounting an aerial for it outside, so, still no need for a landline... Smiley

And if you use a PAYG SIM, there's no line rental to pay... Cool smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

In reality no we don't need one but it's been kept from the legacy days of my partner needing to phone home cheaply. Internet wise we could manage with just mobile BB although i'm not keen on the EM radiation threat.

We virtually never use the landline for phone calls, i wouldn't miss it if it got disconnected. The FTTC I might miss but given the dire upload speeds plusnet provide us with even that is questionable especially as my mobile phone beats the download speeds and also gives upload of around 15Mb.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

A mobile is handy when I'm out, but for a proper conversation with decent audio, the landline wins every time for me.

Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 124

I find the thinness of a landline phone easier to hold so prefer that to using the wider smartphone for comfort at home.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

So how would the majority of users get broadband unless they had a landline.  ?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

It's the landline and it's attendant charge that keeps the likes of plusnet going - and I've been chasing them around this roundabout so many times. 

As for having a landline phone, perhaps it's a generational thing as I cannot see myself never having a permanent one in the house which is how they are able to hold us by the short and curlies when it comes to those 'broadband' charges - and a more disingenuous arrangement I have yet to meet.

Like most these days I have a mobile but only a PAYG in my case but, unlike that landline at my age I might easily lose it, or even more easily forget to charge the damn thing! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Are people really expecting to just not pay the line rental part of the prices? You don't think the costs will just get moved to the broadband part?

Community Veteran

I never will understand why we as a nation stayed with mainly copper wires to carry internet. Quite a few other countries (eg Japan) have migrated to HF wireless for really fast internet without the usual noise/crackling/radio pickup that copper so graciously provides, free of charge! Ticked off 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

• If think it is a generational thing. We have had our landline and number for 40+ years and we support friends and family over our landline connection with them and many of them don't have t'internet just the phone. 

I do think that BT with Openreach are gaming the system however, they are doing very nicely out of maintaining the old structure and are obstructing the rollout of newer technologies Knuppel

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero