cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline charges.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Landline charges.

The Register sums up pretty much what is wrong with the land line charges set up at the moment. There's too many  "hidden" charges for features which cost the providers nothing to service. Ofcom should force Openreach and the ISPs to offer a "No Dial Tone" option for those who want Broadband.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Landline charges.

it would probably reduce the line rental cost by very little.
in some cases it might actually increase the price of the line rental.
there's a reason why ISPs charge more for broadband only package (ie no bundled line rental) - cable companies do it as well.
Community Veteran

Openreach put this forward to ISPs for FTTC - so you can have a FTTC connection only without the need for line rental. Some of the large ISPs were against the idea, but Openreach are still pushing forward with it.
Community Veteran

surely line rental of sorts would still be required, as there is still a physical line going to the property.
or are openreach saying they no longer want the income that is gained from supplying a line?
or are openreach expecting the ISPs to absorb the cost of this?
Community Veteran

There would be a higher charge for the FTTC only service, to cover the on-going maintenance etc. of the copper line. I guess the pricing would sit somewhere in between FTTC only and FTTC + WLR.
I think it's more they want to give ISPs the option of offering an IP based phone solution, which is done across Europe and it's much more superior to than of the current PSTN.
Community Veteran

so there still would be line rental then, just that it would be hidden in the cost of the more expensive FTTC product.
Community Veteran

It depends on how ISPs want to charge end users. With Openreach, there would just be a FTTC only charge.
A FTTC only service would be cheaper than FTTC + WLR.
Community Veteran

i'm not denying a FTTC only service would be cheaper than FTTC + WLR, but it would still be more expensive than FTTC with WLR.
openreach aren't going to provide the line infrastructure for nothing.
there will still be a cost for the having the line, whether that cost is included (hidden) in the cost of the associated FTTC product is up for debate, but the cost will still be there to the end-user.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I demand DFTTH at the same rate as copper voice then LLU'd to the ISP.
Dark Fibre to the Premises.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

There has to be a cost to cover the ongoing maintenance on the copper line. The maintenance at the moment is part of the WLR cost.
If people expect to just pay current FTTC prices only (which ISPs are subsidising by WLR), then they will need to think again.
Community Veteran

that's the thing... they will expect that, and they will be incorrect to do so.
that's why all these stories that suggest line rental would be dropped for such a product is misleading to say the least.
Community Veteran

The other thing you have to remember is that some of the big ISPs are not in favour of this idea, probably because it will reduce their bottom lines.
Razorback
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
which ISPs are subsidising by WLR

I think the word heavily needs to be inserted before subsidising  Wink
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: chenks76
that's the thing... they will expect that, and they will be incorrect to do so.

Will they?
Seems obvious to me that there'll always be a cost for the upkeep of the infrastructure regardless of how its packaged.
I'd jump at the chance of having an FTTC only service, even if there was little to no difference in cost between it and FTTC + WLR. I resent having to   have a service I neither need or want.
Community Veteran

yeah, the majority of the general public are idiots.
it's obvious to us as we are generally more technical that most.
however, you seem to have fallen into the trap that the public would and assumed there would be "little to no difference in cost".
there clearly will still be a difference in cost, and to assume it would be "little" is blinkered in my opinion.
the different won't be an extra £15pm (as it is just now with standard line rental), but i'd be very surprised it the difference get anywhere near a 50% reduction at most.