cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance Armstrong

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Lance Armstrong

Lance Armstrong is stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19369375
Have the US Anti-doping Agency got the power to do this? I thought it could only be done by the Amaury Sport Organization, then only within a year?
Or is it a conspiracy in that Armstrong was part of a campaign to raise $500 million a year in a tax on tobacco in California.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Re: Lance Armstrong

According to the World governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI) they can't
Community Veteran

I see he's not going to contest it.
I hope it's just a case that he doesn't recognise their authority and will clear his name with the cycling bodies that matter.
Community Veteran

Looks like another case of the USA deciding they rule the world and that if there's someone they dislike beyond their jurisdiction they will try and bully everyone into going along with them and accepting their rules.  Crazy
If they think he's cheated they should produce the evidence in a proper legally-empowered hearing acceptable internationally.
David_W
Rising Star

From what I've read about it the US body was stacking up the evidence against him in a one sided way so he decided that it'd take too much energy to continue to contest it so instead decided to let it go and focus on other things.  All through his career there were allegations of doping but it was never proven and I'm sure he'd have taken lots of drug tests, it's a shame that he isn't going to contest it though as now he'll (naturally) be charged as guilty and there will always be that cloud hanging over his wins.
Community Veteran

It doesn't seem like they have any real tangible evidence against him.
Just the hearsay of several jealous has beens.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unfortunately, rumours about drug use in cycling have been going around for years and not just Lance Armstrong, largely based on suspicions from outside the sport that the human body would not be able to sustain the effort that cyclists do without it. Unfortunately the governing bodies of the sport do very little to counter the argument, making it at times seem like with a shrug of the shoulders tacit approval.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Saw him riding in 2002 & 2005 tours.
As possibly the most drug tested sportsman ever he never failed a drugs test so ultimately it's hearsay.
Roger Hammond, who rode for Discovery Channel, was on ITV4 yesterday and said that he never saw any drug taking whilst he was with the team.
As a fellow cancer survivor I'll always hold Armstrong in high regard.
James
Grafter

It's just so horribly sad.
GrahamC
Grafter

It is difficult to come to terms with, but in context of the sport at the time, the Festina Affair in the 98 Tour and the Operación Puerto investigation during the 06 Tour, it is hardly suprising.
As for what else comes out of the investigation I guess we'll have to wait for the testimony of Johan Bruyneel, team Manager of US Postal / Discovery Channel (1996-2007), Astana (2008-2009) Team Radioshack (2010-2011)
FYI, the top 5 in the Tour for the years 1999-2005 have all been busted for doping except LA, Andrei Kivilev (died March 2003) and Haimar Zubeldia.
The USADA Statement
More on the USADA verdict
Festina Affair
Operación Puerto