cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laminator query

Fixes: 47

Laminator query

I've bought a cheap A4 laminater with some A4 pouches.
If I laminate a photo that is an odd size and leaves big gaps on an A4 pouch can I trim the finished article down?
Also I have read of pouch carriers (no mention in the instructions) to protect the rollers. Is this necessary for my cheap laminater?
I have tried the laminater and I am pleased with the result.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 122

Re: Laminator query

To your first question re trimming then yes.
Can't help on the second one, sorry.
We got a cheap (around £12 IIRC) laminater a few years ago. Haven't used it much but did get good results, nonetheless.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

thin card carriers are required in some machines for thinner pouches, but be warned the heat settings need to be adjustable for them to work properly.
as to trimming, so long as the pouches are the correct grade for the machine they should heat seal around whatever you put into them specifically so you can trim them to size.
ensure new pouches are the correct ones for your machine, or if you get lower heat (thinner ones) that you have the correct card carrier for them.
i'll assume you went for a budget brand machine like mine made by texet, if so only buy texet pouches and you should be fine, they do various sizes guaranteed to work with the laminator machine and smaller size pouches come with carriers specifically designed ot work in there basic laminator
hopefully that makes sense Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

Thanks very much guys Smiley
Yes it is a Texet and I bought some A4 and A5 pouches to go with it but there is no mention anywhere of carriers.
We like to put birthday cards on my wife's grave but at this time of the year they don't last a day so I thought of laminating them.
I'll see how it goes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Oddly enough I purchased a Laminator from Aldi a few weeks ago but have not had the chance to use it yet.
The instructions are very poor but there is a switch on it that allows for hot or cold lamination, can someone with a Laminator advise me when you would need to use the cold setting as opposed to the hot setting.

That's odd as I thought all laminators worked hot found one on Amazon Undecided
Mine has a single on/off switch and no heat control.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Strat
I got a cheap laminator from Tescos and gotta be honest I've never had any real hassle. No idea what you mean by the carriers to protect the rollers but i've put all sorts of things through mine and it's been dandy lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
Oddly enough I purchased a Laminator from Aldi a few weeks ago but have not had the chance to use it yet.
The instructions are very poor but there is a switch on it that allows for hot or cold lamination, can someone with a Laminator advise me when you would need to use the cold setting as opposed to the hot setting.

when you have thin filament pouches with a pre glued edge, normally only used for things like id cards/business cards where a cheap and nasty cover is required, so unless you specifically purchase "cold pouches" for the laminator your unlikely to need the cold setting Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

You can trim hot seal lamination provided you leave a clear edge of a couple of mm.  If you trim back to the paper it will almost certainly leak when left exposed to weather.
If part of the problem is print running when it gets wet see if you can find someone with a colour laser printer. Their ink is usually a hot melt and won't run if it gets damp.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Thanks again for comments Smiley
BryanP
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles

I also bought one from Aldi many years ago, I have never used the cold settings, I've only bought pouches from Aldi to use, I buy a couple of packets when they are in store on Special offer.
To get back to the original question you can laminate any size under A4 as long as you leave a border of seal around the picture which I do regulary and I have never heard of pouch carriers so they cannot be important, maybe a sales ploy to get you to spend more money
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for feedback re hot/cold lamination. Smiley