cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ladbrokes

Fixes: 125

Ladbrokes

Had a shock email from Ladbrokes yesterday informing me that, under their revised T&C, I would be charged £2 (or 5% of the balance whichever is the greater) per month from 28 days for my 'inactive account'.
I opened the account in 2002 for the Grand National and, as I only ever have the one bet a year, (2003 was a bad time so didn't bet) I simply forgot the account exists.
I may have received an email from Ladbrokes but probably dismissed it as spam.
Tried to log in but couldn't remember the details after so long so rang and asked to close the account. I was informed that there was a balance in my favour so I asked that to be returned to my account or a cheque sent but was informed that any positive balance would simply just stay with the closed account and be available should I re-open the account in the future. I wasn't happy about that so haven't yet closed it.
I'm wondering about the legality of this on two accounts:
The money is mine, do they have the right not to return it to me.
If I really want the account permanently closed and my details removed do they not have to comply?
This is not an area I know much about.
Edit: Forgot to add that the fella I spoke to suggested that, as I only make one bet a year on the Grand National, I close the account afterwards and reopen it the next year so avoiding the charges. I don't think that's a satisfactory arrangement.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

24 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Ladbrokes

I thought that Ladbrokes had closed down.   Embarrassed
Yes the money is yours, not theres to keep.
Fixes: 47

Do you know how much the balance is and is it worth the hassle just to close the account and cut your losses.
I appreciate your annoyance at the company's arrogance, fortunately I don't and never have had any dealings with, what I regard as these parasite companies.
No doubt they will claim to have 'administrative costs' associated with an account Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Do you know if this clause was in the original T&Cs when you opened the account.  I know a number of companies that charge for inactive accounts.
I have an account with Betfair which I no longer use very much.  I must check the situation with them when I return from holiday.
David_W
Rising Star

You may have a claim under the Data Protection Act, if you request that your information is removed from a computer system (as in closing your account) then they have an obligation to comply, they are not allowed to keep data on you for any longer than is needed, and closing your account means the information is no longer needed.  As for keeping the money, can they do that in an account that no longer exists?

@strat
It's a small amount - not worth any hassle but there is a principal.
But you're right - best cut my losses.
I could put the outstanding amount on a long-shot and have done with it Smiley
@artmo
Really wouldn't know what was in the T&C when I opened the account as it was almost 10 years ago. The email I received yesterday said the the charge was added to the T&C in January this year.
@david W
I'll investigate the DPA. Just don't like the idea that the account would never be properly closed.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Quote from: Mav
I could put the outstanding amount on a long-shot and have done with it Smiley

I wouldn't advise that as you could end up with a much larger amount to 'right off' Wink You know what can happen to these 'long shots' Shocked

Just been reading the T&C:
9. Payment of Winnings
9.1. Returns due on bets placed will be added to your current deposit balance once the bet has been settled. This balance will remain in your account unless you submit a request that part, or all, of the outstanding balance is returned to you. If your balance is zero, you will be required to transfer more funds before you are able to place any bets. Your processed funds will leave us at the close of business each bank working day and will be processed as follows:
  1. Debit cards: funds will be paid back to your registered card and will be subject to the clearance period (normally three working days but it can be more) of the issuing bank or building society;
  2. Visa credit cards: will be paid back to your registered card, up to a maximum of £2,000 per day. If you wish to withdraw more than £2,000 in any day you should contact our 'Customer Service Team';
  3. Mastercard credit cards: we are not able to pay funds back to Mastercard credit cards. Withdrawals will, where this is possible, automatically be paid to the registered bank account associated with your account via internet bank transfer. For additional payment methods see the ‘Payments' section of the Website.
9.2. For all the above methods if you wish to withdraw in excess of £2,000 per day you should contact our 'Customer Service Team'.
9.3. You are responsible for reporting your winnings and losses, if such reporting is required by your local law or tax or other authorities.

Perhaps my problem arose because the debit card I currently have registered with them is out-of-date by some 8 years and with the Abbey (pre-Santander) and I haven't banked with them for a number of years and I requested a cheque.
I don't want to update my financial details so I'll email them requesting the refund and see what happens. If that fails I'll place the long-shot.

Good luck with either of your long shots Wink Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Double Barrel?

I've emailed the ICO for clarification as well as Ladbrokes putting my request for the account to be closed and will let you know the outcome.
Cheers.
With my luck even on a favourite it'd probably fall at the first hurdle or run backwards  Cheesy Grin

Community Veteran

Are Ladbrokes still based in the UK or did they move their operation abroad?  If so this could complicate the issue.

Their Contact Us page lists a CS address in Harrow. Middlesex.
They're also listed in Companies House at the same address.

Community Veteran

OK.  I know some bookmakers moved abroad but apparently not Ladbrokes.  Betfair is looking at the option I hear.

Received email this afternoon from Ladbrokes telling me that they have now lowered the limit that they can refund back to people and suggested I ring their CS for a transfer or cheque to be sent.
So, I have now got a cheque winging it's way to me and the account is closed  Smiley