cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTA to limit funding

randpwar
Grafter

LTA to limit funding

Generally in agreement with these new policies from the usually completely inept LTA, apart from the intention to cease funding for those that wish to train overseas. I think that should continue as the only GB player to make it into even the top 100, let alone the top of the sport, over the last 10 years was Murray whose mother, of course, had the good sense to get as far away from LTA influence as possible….and that worked out pretty well.
With very good reason, Murray has never really unequivocally backed the LTA for good governance in producing top players which makes me wonder, being a bit of a cynic, if his success, which has been totally honed away from the corporate LTA system, is an embarrassment to them given the absolute total lack of any men’s players coming through their ranks and systems for about 30 years. Remember, Murray went abroad, Henman was born with a grass court in his back yard and ws told by the LTA that he might make a living at doubles, and Rusedki is Canadian
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/30422039
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: LTA to limit funding

A new man in charge and a new set of rules. It happens so often yet fails to produce any true, sustainable results. It would be interesting to see how the old eastern block manages to produce so many good players.
Community Veteran

Wimbledon is in talks with BT to show some matches on their channel. I hope it comes to nothing and the coverage remains with BBC. We will have to see.
itsme
Grafter

Thought it was the BBC in talks not Wimbledon.
It is also understood the All England Club is completely unaware of any move in that direction. It would ultimately have the final say on whether it would accept such a proposal and may take a dim view any BBC reluctance to continue broadcasting the championships in its entirety. Were it to remain wedded to free-to-air, that could open the door for the likes of ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5.
Community Veteran

@itsme, you are quite right, my apologies. I know one of the Wimbledon committee and they do not want things to change. We will have to see.