cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLU providers....

plusmouse
Rising Star

LLU providers....

Just wondering, my sister wants to leave BT due to their price hikes and was considering Sky as an option as she has a TV package. Now I know Sky are what`s called an LLU (local loop unbundling) provider, so does that mean BT could charge her a cease fee if she left them to go to Sky? I wasn`t sure on this. Also, I found this online and is states that PlusNet is also an LLU provider? Is that true? I thought PlusNet were part of BT so didn`t need to use their own `equipment` at the exchange? So for example, if I was to switch away from PlusNet (no intentions of doing so) would I also be facing a cease charge if I went back to BT or another provider? Just trying to get my head around when someone switches from one provider to another, I read about people sometimes being charges a cease fee when all they are doing is switching provider? See list below for LLU providers: PlusNet are listed.

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: LLU providers....

that isn't correct - which site is that

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

BT charge £30 to cease its broadband service, unless you are transferring to another BTW supplier, ie PlusNet or EE.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Plusnet isn't an LLU provider
but it's correct that there would be a charge to move from a non-LLU provider to an LLU provider (and vice versa).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Another vote for mobile broadband from me!

No wires tied to a particular property, no ceasation fees (unless you terminate a contract) and no flaming hassle!

Mind you.. the bandwidth limit could be a problem if you're a heavy user..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I don't believe BT should charge to move to an LLU provider. Their T & C's state they will charge if you move to a Cable provider OR if you don't follow the standrad transfer process http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/ .

Community Veteran

well plusnet definitely do.
it's a standard openreach charge, so it would apply to all ISPs.
whether thay actually pass that cost on to the customer is a different story.
plusmouse
Rising Star

oldjim, it was the broadband choices website. I didn`t think PlusNet was LLU either as they use the BT structure. My sister is currently with BT and wants to move due to the hike in pricing. I checked her email again and she`s looking for BB and line only, but then she mentioned that Sky has a TV package cheaper every month, so I presumed she wanted that as an add on but would have to ask her. Otherwise she would be just as well coming over to PlusNet for line and BB alone. She has a Smartphone so probably doesn`t use the home phone for calls.

Mustrum, so my sister, if choosing to move to Sky, would likely be hit with a £30 cease fee from BT then?

plusmouse
Rising Star

Actually, done a quick google on this and it seems BT, or any other ISP will only charge this `cease fee` if you move to a cable provider that isn`t using BTs copper wiring structure? If you switch to another ISP using the proper provider led switching process, as Mr W above linked to, this cease fee shouldn`t apply. It`s all so confusing!

Community Veteran

Well i looked into moving to Vodafone llu and was categorically told by plusnet that a cease fee would apply as i was moving"off network"
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Plusnet's Ts&Cs can be found here.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran

and an LLU ISP is "a provider who uses their own network (like a cable provider)"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

It's all very murky this! I'm sure BTw/OR get away with charging ceases whenever they feel like it and ISP's just pass it on.

To quote PN's T & C's

The good news is, there's no charge if you move to another broadband service that also uses a BT line for its network.

but what is a BT line ? technically everything except Cable is a BT line since it's provided by BT Openreach. PN seem to believe it means a BTw provided line. Personally I think that BT Retail have it correct and that's what PN used to apply, but sometime ago it seemed to change.

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

A BT line is one which has not been LLU'd by Sky, Talktalk etc.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
plusmouse
Rising Star

So...unless someone is moving to a cable provider, they can not expect to pay a cease charge if they are switching between BT, PlusNet, Talk Talk , Sky, Origin or whoever? When they say they, `use their own equipment at the exchange` I took that to mean that`s where the cease charge applies because BT/w or BT OReach charge BT to change the wiring at the exchange? It would be nice if this was made clearer because it does seem that some people face this cease charge even when they a not switching to a cable network.

Taken from the T&C link above:

That ALSO uses a BT line. So because these other providers use a BT copper line, even if they are LLU providers, we shouldn`t expect a cease charge of switching using the proper procedures? It states that it only applies to cable ISP`s.