Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIVE Air Canada flight expected to make emergency landing

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

LIVE Air Canada flight expected to make emergency landing

Spain’s port operator AENA says that an Air Canada Boeing 767 aircraft is to make an emergency landing at the airport in Madrid Monday after reporting technical problems.

The Toronto-bound flight AC837 departed from the Adolfo Suarez-Barajas international airport earlier in the day.

An AENA spokeswoman said that the airline had requested a slot for an emergency landing some 30 minutes after the takeoff. The official, who was not authorized to be named in media reports, said she couldn’t elaborate.

Spain’s main union of pilot workers, SEPLA, said in a tweet that the plane lost some pieces of its landing gear during takeoff and that the aircraft needs to fly in circles to burn off fuel before landing.

Citing airport sources, Spain’s El Mundo newspaper reported that the plane is carrying 130 passengers and that it lost a wheel during takeoff.

Madrid residents posted videos online showing a plane flying unusually low over the Spanish capital’s centre and suburbs.

7 REPLIES 7
RobPN
Hero

Re: LIVE Air Canada flight expected to make emergency landing

Appears to have landed safely at approx 18:08 UK time.  Smiley

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Looks like some of the undercarriage ( which did not fold into its housing fully ) broke off and punctured a tyre as well as putting debris into one of the engines... why did the plane have to circle so long on one engine  - it is reported to have circled for four hours but I believe most wide bodied planes like 767 that cannot make a full weight landing have the facility to dump fuel from nozzles so thay can get back on the ground quicker.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/air-canada-flight-safe-emergency-landing-madrid-2002031842581...

RobPN
Hero

Whilst the video was live when the link was posted, if anybody wants to watch that particular landing it starts from about 2:08:30 into the video -  Direct Link starting then

@wotsup wrote:

... as well as putting debris into one of the engines... why did the plane have to circle so long on one engine ...l

I can't help wondering how long it'll be before one of these large modern two-engined planes has a problem with ... two engines.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN wrote:

I can't help wondering how long it'll be before one of these large modern two-engined planes has a problem with ... two engines.

especially when the remaining engine is working overtime to keep a fully loaded, fully fuelled aircraft in the air. 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@RobPN, Well, a BA 747 did lose all four engines flying through volcanic ash in South-East Asia some years ago.  It was flying at 37,000 ft., and 15 minutes later when the crew managed to restart the engines, they were at 12,000 ft.

Captain Moody is reported to have told the passengers, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."  It all depends on your definition of small I suppose.

RobPN
Hero

@Jonpe 

Yes I recall reading about that previously.  Luckily the engines were still recoverable in that case, but the type of engine damage caused by something solid being sucked in, or a turbine blade shearing off ... well that'd be another story.  Then there's the case of the Kegworth crash where one engine failed and the crew shut down the other (good) one by mistake.

At least in the incident you linked they weren't stuck up there all night as in the old Leo Varadkar Irishman joke.  Wink

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, I remembered that joke but didn't want to be considered racist, although I first heard it told by Dave Allen.