cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED lighting

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

LED lighting

Over the last few months I have been changing some of the household lighting from a couple of incandescents, a few triple head halogens, the aquarium lights the latest is the car courtesy lights (these because the tungsten bulbs were very short lived) all have been changed to their nearest wattage equivalents.
i understand the "green" and running cost reasons for changing them but, why is it then that I don't like the "quality" of the light produced by the LED's and seriously thinking in the case of the halogens at least of reverting back from the LED's.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
44 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: LED lighting

is worth a watch
and this is where you can buy them http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/colourtemp.htm
Note there may be other suppliers
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thanks OldJim. Seems I might need to check out the colour temp of those I have bought.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
why is it then that I don't like the "quality" of the light produced by the LED's

Because they're crap thats why.
I have an LED torch and while undoubtedly the battery life lasts longer and you don't get that dark patch in the middle of the light from the tip on the bulb, LEDs are nowhere near as good for light quality.
To put it bluntly I think they're a pile of ****e but they're here to stay whether we like it or not.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

some led's are very good some of the cheaper ones are bad, most of the stuff used in cheap torches are the nasty bulbs that give really bright light with a blue (cold) hue and don't provide any distance light, the more expensive the device however the better the quality of light (often combining more than one shade to give a more natural light) and the greater the range that gets illuminated.
so it would rather depend on your budget, research, knowledge & personal preference as to what you feel is the better solution, personally I use led based devices for portable low range lighting but stick to more traditional energy efficient bulbs for general household lighting
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool We recently converted some torches and lanterns from classic tungsten lightbulbs to LED operation. In testing we found the best asthetic effect was achieved with warm white Leds, rather than their cold hard white light siblings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Every light in my house is now LED.
Quality ones give a decent colour of light (Check the Colour Rendering Index), I prefer ones around 4000k to4500k 'colour temperature', most LED torches use a 'blue-ish looking' 6000k and 3000k is too yellow for my taste.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: w23
Every light in my house is now LED.

I didn't even know you could buy LED lightbulbs (I'm assuming thats what you mean?). Do they have a limited lifespan or are they like most LEDs that live for decades?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

LED lighting is fine if as suggested you get your colour temperature selection sorted.
Less good is all the 'faff' of having to have transformers in all sorts of inaccessible spaces.  These cheapie transformers seem to fail more often than the bulbs?    It might save energy but it can be costly - at least until IEE recast the rules to better accommodate  Low Voltage lighting in the domestic environment.
M
Fixes: 47

I recently replaced 8 x 50 watt halogen bulbs with 8 x 5 watt LED bulbs.
The light is slightly warmer than the halogens but perfectly acceptable considering the energy saving.
I'm now looking at the rest of the house.
Edit: The LED bulbs are a direct replacement for the halogen bulbs and there are no transformers involved as the bulbs are 240v rated.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

That is interesting
We have 8 gu10 50w halogens in the kitchen but they aren't really bright enough
Using 7w LED would seem to give a significant increase - update I just read the reviews on Amazon so not a good idea
Which make did you get

I have 4 of these and 4 of these.
To be honest I can't see a great difference between the two types in light output.
A wider selection here http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Dlighting&field-keywords=gu10%20led&s...
Community Veteran

Almost every lamp in our house is now LED. We also have a few mini fluorescents yet to change to LEDs.
We prefer white light (6000k) and are slowly replacing the older yellowish ones bought a couple of years back.
Most are 230v GU9/10s and a few are 12v  M16s. All have a life of c.50,000 hours and give a power to light ratio of about 10 to 1. That's to say a 5watt LED delivers about 50watts of light. I recently upped our 8 recessed kitchen lights to 8watts. Adapters are available for GU9/10s to the standard bayonet fitting so we also have them in the outside courtesy lights and table lamps too.
I've also changed a 300watt floodlamp 118mm bulb to a 10watt LED.
All of my bulbs have been sourced through UK suppliers on eBay.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I don't like CFL's as the quality of the light is poor and they can takes ages to "warm up", so in most situations they're useless. And LED's are very expensive.
So I've reverted to traditional filament bulbs for most interior lighting as they get used in winter and actually warm the house up so save elsewhere!
The only LED's I have are in one outside floodlight and interior lights in my car(s) for better/brighter light.
Did you read about the guy who warms his house with Xmas lights and reckons it's cheaper than his gas central heating! (the logic of that escapes me)  Crazy
Here's one report on the Xmas lights: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/11/christmas-lights-are-not-the-answer-to-expensive-en...

I had moved much of my lighting to CFL until I discovered the considerable benefits of LED lighting.