cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED TV question

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

LED TV question

I'm a bit confused over LED TV types, between direct and edge types.

Here is what LG say on the matter http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT32002778-1372771993364-others but, it is still unclear (to me) which is better in the long-run as they still make both types?

For example there is a £200 difference between the two types on the LG 55uj635v and the LG 55UJ651V so is it best to pay more and would they both last as long?

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
11 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 6

Re: LED TV question

I'm no expert on this, but reading your link I wouldn't say that one is overall better than the other, though depending on what you want one may be.  A TV which it edge lit would be thinner, where as a back-lit TV would give you better dark colours.  If you have a quick google, you'll find those two models you've just only £50 difference.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@pjmarsh Thanks £50 is around 10%

So... is direct LEDs with darker blacks better and the potential of  the "halo" effect of bright images on dark backgrounds a good trade-off? 

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
VileReynard
All Star
Fixes: 11

Go to a shop and compare actual models.

Let the eyes decide. Grin

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 6

I'd say it is totally down to person preference.  What I would do myself is go to a show and have a look at the two models (even if they are different sizes) and see what you think.  You can always then go away and buy it online if you prefer, or you never know, the store may price match, though you would need to get it home yourself them, or pay for delivery.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@VileReynard wrote:

Go to a shop and compare actual models.

Let the eyes decide. Grin

Not always that straighforward.

Many shops display tv's in a darkened area and sometimes use a dvd to play something on the screen, picture looks fantastic but when you get it home it never seems as good.

We have a LG smart tv if you sit in the dark the picture is great but even a dimmed light reflects on the screen, most people on the forum will have used computer monitors, the picture on my led monitor was ok, no reflections, upgraded to a ip monitor, far better picture but a lot of reflection so I guess tv's are the same, oled and variations of it might overcome these problems but way out of my price bracket.

Fixes: 173

A friend of mine who used to work in the TV section of a well known store told me this.

The store had a batch of average quality TVs to shift.

They would place one in a prominent location, feed it with the best quality source they had and tweak the settings to the best they could.

Then surround it with TVs fed with a poorer source and configured for a basic image.

The batch was soon sold.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit)

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Iv'e just been to my local TV store and saw both LG models. One is bit thicker with a black surround and a pedestal stand and the other is a bit thinner with two legs and a silver grey surround. The pictures looked the same (in a dark store with sunlight streaming in). Unfortunately, all the staff were too busy watching the football to be of any help.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Personally I would check out the model numbers on Amazon and review websites.

One may come out better than the other, it will also give you the price, worth paying more to get it from your local store but equally you do not want to be ripped off.

Not sure what store you are getting it from but in my opinion some store assistant are there to sell and have little knowledge of the product, useful to take someone with you should you ask a specific question only to be told yes and find out later the info was incorrect.

Got my LG from John Lewis, not the cheapest but it included a 5 year guarantee......not that I have ever had the need to put it to the test.

Irrespective of how good the picture is you may be disappointed by the sound.

VileReynard
All Star
Fixes: 11

John Lewis would be my first port of call.

A 5 year guarantee is worth a bit extra.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Leapy wrote:

I'm a bit confused over LED TV types, between direct and edge types.

Here is what LG say on the matter http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT32002778-1372771993364-others but, it is still unclear (to me) which is better in the long-run as they still make both types?

For example there is a £200 difference between the two types on the LG 55uj635v and the LG 55UJ651V so is it best to pay more and would they both last as long?

the difference tends to be that one is an lcd screen with an led backlite whilst the other is an led screen 

the price difference should be higher but they make more money on the lcd screens and sell more of them (the lcd screens tend to have slightly slower response times) some manufacturers charge more for the lcd version of the various models...

personally I have both types of screen and its difficult to see much in the way of difference between them at 1080p, there is some variance when looking at uhd content but that tends to be  in the bleed through more than anything else ...

the primary diference between the two types of screen are lcd's alike tft's over time become opaque to light when exposed to uv rays whilst fully formed led's dont suffer this problem.. so unless your planning on putting it in a location where it will get lots of direct sunlight on the screen dont worry about it and just grab whichever you prefer the picture from Tongue

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Got my LG from John Lewis, not the cheapest but it included a 5 year guarantee......not that I have ever had the need to put it to the test.

Richer Sounds also offer a free 5 year guarantee and the staff are well trained in the products they sell.