cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED Lights

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

LED Lights

I guess a few of you on the forum have been using led lights for some time, so how are you getting on with them ?

Personally I am no having much luck, changed the flourscent tube in the kitchen about 3 years ago and it no longer works, of course the guarantee is for 2 years only so had to pay out for a new tube which are bxxxx expensive, what happened to the 32,000 hours of use. I am sure we haven't spent that much time in the kitchen. !

Christmas tree lights (led) yes they work but I noticed several are burnt out and cannot be replaced, only used at Christmas, so on for 7 hours a day for a total of 2 months ie. 4 years old. & starting to burn out already.

Then there are several Led bulbs in the house which have packed up long before the 20,000 hour mark was reached, doubt I got 2,000 hours out of them.

The above all came from different suppliers and were not in the cheapest ranges, so is it me or are these things a con ?

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: LED Lights

I wouldn't say they're a con, just exaggerated, as the average life of an LED chip and the associated coloured phosphors isn't that much better than a fluorescent lamp, the only difference being the amount of power used...

I've got several types of LED lighting myself, from the cheap LED tape stuff that never sticks properly, to fluorescent-replacement tubes (which are basically LED tape-in-a-tube!), to LED filament bulbs and 10w floodlights (the latter of which I used in the back shed for youtube video lighting)...

The only ones I've had troubles with are the filaments, one I managed to break the glass bulb (and give myself a shock when poking it while switched off, discovering there's a wiring fault somewhere in the house), the other (from the same order) just started going all blinky, one started squealing like a pig, and the rest seem to be okay...

The only LED light that gets the least use is the one in the living room, a candle bulb-shaped thing that arrived in a box o' junk from ebay seller ascheap-aschips, blummin' good light it is too, shame it gets so little use... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Replaced the main room lighting with LED lights from Morrisons.... wrote the date of purchase on the packet, and keep that in the draw with all the other  "come in useful bits" !!...

had occasion to return an filament bulb  (before the led one`s came out )... as it failed after about a month of "light" use ( no pun intended).. and they replaced it when I showed them the date of purchase..

my LED lights are brilliant  ( no pun intended ).. they switch on nanoseconds before the old tubular low energy types and give a brighter light too... got one in my desk lamp that is on, for about 14 hours a day.. and has been for about 6 months now... still going strong..

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I bought some G9 led bulbs for my Living room , I have one main Central light 3 Bulbs , and 2 wall lights 2 each

7 Leds were expensive Shocked But close to 18 month now and still all ok Thumbs Up bet i would have changed the fillament ones all twice by now

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I have replaced the tiny 12v reflector lamps in my caravan with LED's and over the autumn this year I gradually replaced all the most used lamps in the house with LED's, leaving the rarely used centre lighting as CFL's. I have not had a single failure. I watch and log the energy bills carefully and - Despite the hours of darkness increasing in autumn, there was a noticeable dip in the graph the following month, after the swap to LED. 

LED's are more sensitive to high temperatures and only certain ones specified as dimmable, can be used on a dimmer.

Electronic items tend to fail early, or last the distance - LED's follow this rule.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

We don't have any at present, but are thinking about it. Our lounge and dining room have up-lighting 5 and 3 branch pendants with wall dimmer switches. Bulbs keep failing, so we have to ask help from son-i-l or teenage grandson. WE're a bit wobbly.

LED seems a good idea once there are suitable dimmers on the market.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Over a year ago I replaced my workshop florescent tubes with 8 x 5ft LED strips, there were 4 florescent strips and a number of 100w incandescent bulbs. I’ve now light in some of the darkest corners, no failures yet and certainly cheaper to run. Since then I’ve replaced both office and garage florescent with LED 5ft strip lights. I’m pleased with the result, LED came along at just the right time as my old lighting system was over 30 years old and showing signs of wear and tear (swallows nest ontop of lights, rusty fittings, dodgy connections, the starters needed replacing).

I’ve replaced one of the yard exterior lights with an LED with one of estimated equivalent wattage, the rest are still PIR halogen, the exterior LED light is not as good. Bulb for Bulb replacement (Halogen to LED) on PIR detectors has several issues (intermittent blink, would turn on - but not turn off), I’m still deciding, the existing exterior lights are good so don’t require fixing just yet.

Swmbo is slowly replacing the house lights from CFL to LED as the CFLs fail, to her knowledge in a year she has had one LED failure, just went dim.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Luzern Understand about the "bit wobbly".... and the "uplighting"... instead of using dimmer switch for ALL the lighting... could you fit separate switches to your lights, and use less or more (light level) by switching on and off as required  ?

Community Veteran

I've LEDs to be reliable except those in the stairwell where I need to have a 4 metre ladder section to reach them. It seems to be an extension of Murphy's Law that the most inaccessible bulbs fail more frequently.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

journeys wrote:

Over a year ago I replaced my workshop florescent tubes with 8 x 5ft LED strips, there were 4 florescent strips and a number of 100w incandescent bulbs. I’ve now light in some of the darkest corners, no failures yet and certainly cheaper to run. Since then I’ve replaced both office and garage florescent with LED 5ft strip lights. I’m pleased with the result, LED came along at just the right time as my old lighting system was over 30 years old and showing signs of wear and tear (swallows nest ontop of lights, rusty fittings, dodgy connections, the starters needed replacing).

A worthwhile and more efficient upgrade for strip lights, is to replace the ballast and switch starter with an electronic ballast unit. It makes them very close to the efficiency of an LED. My garage and workshop has 20 strip lamps a mix of 2 and 4 foot tubes, switched as three sections, so I can turn on just the area I am working. These are ballasted lights, but I'm in there so rarely now, that it isn't really cost worthy of upgrading the lighting to e-ballasts. 

There is a big range of LED types for various purposes. I recently replaced an outdoor 38watt 2D light fitting, switched via solar clock and lighting my drive as a deterrent. I replaced it with a vertical lantern style fitting, with a vertical lamp. The best LED lamp for the purpose was a 6watt LED 'corn cob lamp'. These lamps shine axially. It is on from dusk until midnight, so quite a saving in Kwh and provides a better spread of light too.

If I need more lighting outdoors, I have a 70w HP sodium fitting, a 70w mercury vapour and a 500w halogen lights on a remote control, all mounted high up, for those times when I need to light the whole outside of the property up.  There have been a couple of occasions when it has been suggested there have been prowlers about and with a large dark garden, you cannot beat being able to instantly flood it with light.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

shutter wrote:

@Luzern Understand about the "bit wobbly".... and the "uplighting"... instead of using dimmer switch for ALL the lighting... could you fit separate switches to your lights, and use less or more (light level) by switching on and off as required  ?

Not too sure about that as a solution. I'm guessing that would involve some sort of "pull" to each of the  bulbs. Or more?Huh

There's also that matter of reach; we're both shorties- 5' 6" and 5' 1"

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

Maybe not so much a con as having some sort of build in obsolescence.

Is stuff meant to last longer than the whim of wanting? I'm not so sure it is. 

"The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long" Lao Tze .....or was that from the end of 'Blade Runner' Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

I now have 21 LED bulbs around the house including a 50 watt outside floodlight which lights up the entire back garden as good as the 500 watt light it replaced.

I have 3 light fittings yet to be upgraded and am quite satisfied with the LEDs overall.

My electricity consumption has steadily decreased over the last 3 years as I replaced more filament bulbs with LED.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

harrym1byt wrote:

A worthwhile and more efficient upgrade for strip lights, is to replace the ballast and switch starter with an electronic ballast unit. It makes them very close to the efficiency of an LED.

Tried that myself, one went bang, one just died and the other squealed like a pig, so gave up and went back to magnetic ballasts 'til the LED stuff became affordable, I'm sure one day the one in the kitchen will go bang, but, so far it's doing nicely, instant on, instantly full-brightness, and is half the power of the 36w 4ft tube it replaced... Smiley

harrym1byt
Rising Star

I am surprised, I looked after many buildings with thousands of the e-ballast in use and only rarely did they exhibit problems. The tubes also lasted much longer.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.