cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD T.V'S Horizontal line of stuck pixels

scootie
Grafter

LCD T.V'S Horizontal line of stuck pixels

Hi just wondering how common the fault is i have just got on my samsung 32" lcd.
yestarday a family member was watching it and all a sudden we got a hozental line of pixels miss behaving.
There not dead or stuck as when the picture is black current get's through to the Horizontal line to stop the back light showing.
but during normal program viewing it gest a broken line of diffrent coulors manly red yellow or a solid line of these coulors.
we rang who we brought it from currys and they gave us the samsung number as its only a month an half old and samsung rang a local repair centre and inturn they rang us back with 10mins of getting off phone with currys and glad to say there coming tomoro to fix it. pretty quick service which iam impressed with if it gets sorted tomoro
just wondering how common this Horizontal line problem is among lcd tv's and if its wise to take some cover out incase of same problem after the 12 months
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: LCD T.V'S Horizontal line of stuck pixels

I would say very rare. Most manufacturers have a minimum dead / faulty pixel count, often around 5 -> 10 (although it can vary) after which the unit is defined as defective.
Chances are they will just replace it as in-field repair is very uncommon now.
scootie
Grafter

yeah i did some homework before choicing the samsung and found the defecative rate of pixes varies alot among manufactors.
i was very surrpised thoe that this samsung has failed with the complete Horizontal line.
it only had one blue stuck pixel from new in the top left but this line is 1/4 up from the bottom of the screen.
i dont like the sounds of a replacment. i can here the enginer now the old teeth breathing follwed by we have'nt got this model in the back of the van. get one to you in 2-3 weeks.
can watch t.v just about esp analouge dont hadly notice it on analouge but my xbox on hd is a no go at mo
scootie
Grafter

quick update.
repair man on time. took the back of and yes teeth drying came followed by needs a new panel and then rings base up none in stock have to oreder one in 3ish working days.
so me thinks some time next week when it gets repaired.
So Vaughan the art of infield repair is still alive and kicking. your previous post got my hopes up that i would have band new one today Angry
StickyMick
Grafter

With a bit of luck, if they can't get a new panel you may end up being a little better off. As I did with my Monitor.
Purchased a new 17" TFT monitor that developed a fault whereby on first switch on the screen would be a mass of flickering pixels for the first 10 minutes.
I contacted the manufacturers who shipped a replacement to arrive next day. 2 hours of use and the replacement went black. Contacted manufacturers again, who said they had no more of that model in stock, so they will be replacing it with the next model up, which arrived the same day.
Fixes: 125

@StickyMick
Was that iiyama by any chance.
I had a 19" CRT fail after two years. I phoned the company and a replacement was delivered by courier the next day and they took away the old one away at the same time. Excellent service.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

scootie
Grafter

nope defo will be a reapair job as i heard him on phone and the repair office said they had one in stock but the repair guy said that panel was all ready booked out for a job.
so defo is a replacment of just the panel and not a brand new t.v.
he said he would have a gd look over all the t.v  when he comes back to make sure the is no ovious defects waiting to raise there uguly heads.
which in my view might be better than having a brand new replacment
StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
@StickyMick
Was that iiyama by any chance.

Nope, it was actually an AMW (Amphion Media Works).
techguy
Grafter

I've had a Samsung LCD TV (32") for 3 years and it been good as gold.
Think they are one of the largest manufacturers of the panels so think you've just been unlucky.
johpal
Grafter

Currys really should not have told you to contact Samsung directly; your contract when you bought was with Currys. Up to about 6 weeks, you should have been entitled to a replacement unit, or your money back (but this is a disputed point). They would probably have contacted Samsung anyway to make a repair and you may have saved time by doing it yourself. My point is, some retailers are all too often shunning their responsibilities, but happily taking our money. Hope the repair is completed soon.
techguy
Grafter

Does not surprise that Currys told the OP to Samsung as once its sold they really don't want to be bothered.
As for extended warranties from them which were operated by their repair arm Mastercare (now called Tech Guys) I wouldn't bothber either.
You'd be better getting insurance from Domestic and General, we have extended warranties from them on our freezer and washing machine and they have paid for themselves as when they broke down they just replaced them.
Fixes: 47

It probably pays to check your contents insurance..........as I will this weekend Embarrassed
Yeah I know we've been advised to do this on the forum lots of time before Tongue
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just been looking at this Article from Halifax Insurance
Have made PDF with DoPDF and Open Office PDF, I was not using Foxit to make PDF's, and have updated DoPDF since last complaints
scootie
Grafter

happy to say my exprince with samsung is still a good one even thoe the lcd panel did fail.
not bad rang up monday. they came to look at it tuesday moring and oreder the new panel in why he was here saying it will be around 3 working days for them to get new part. yet had a nice surrpise this morning had a call asking if it was o.k for them to come today at bettweem 10am-2pm i asked if they could make it before 12 and they did turned up 30 mins after the call Wink
48 hours after they had looked at it and found the fault they had repaired it Smiley
no stuck pixels on this one as well. the old panel only had 1 stuck blue pixel from new.
As for currys/pc worlds insurrence on things nope never take non of that rubish out. i would of bein waiting for years to get DG GROUP LTD to fix it.
i can rember the last laptop i bought from pc world .
i knew the one i wanted so went staright to cash desk and was meet by which staff member has told you about it ect and forced me into going back and having some snotty nosed kid tell me about unimportant things about it.
get back to cash desk and i am meet with i need to tell you all about are insurance. i said no thank you. they said but its are legal obligation to tell you about it Grin.
get past that to be told it wasnt in stock Grin they did a check and said currys in sheffield had one. i said C YA
popped to the currys on the same trading est 4 shops down from pc world. straight to cash desk yep they had one in rang wharehouse bring one down. handed my cash over(this was the only hold up in currys took them 2 people and 5 mins to count the pile 20 pound notes) got my laptop and back home in less time then i was messed about in pc world.
i think that dg group should be forced to sell currys or pc world as where i live i find this unfair on the consumer
techguy
Grafter

Or just dont bother going into the store and buy anything you want online (where you may find it cheaper anyway)
I've only ever been in there for software or a mouse, stuff you can go and pick off the shelf rather than dealing with the morons in that place.