cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L Plates

Community Veteran

L Plates

Is it illegal to carry L plates on a car when it is not a learner driver behind the wheel?
My sister has finally decided to learn to drive at 30 years of age and I am helping by putting her on my insurance. I really couldn't be bothered constantly taking the L playes down and putting them back up if I don't have to.
10 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: L Plates

I think so.
You can buy magnetic "stick-on" L-plates.

Community Veteran

I thought that might be the case but I see cars everyday with L plates and only one person in the car so I was thinking that the law is not really inforced.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Googling would suggest not, at least I can't find any reference to it being illegal.
IANAL, but I would guess it's not illegal on the basis that driving instructors don't take their signs off when driving the car themselves.
Not young enough to know everything
johpal
Grafter

Many years ago, my wife (the qualified driver) was driving along the motorway, with me (the learner) in the passenger seat, with the L-plates still on the car. We attracted the unwelcome attention of the police, who instructed us to remove the plates, but only after going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb, trying to find other faults. Fortunately, a police mechanic friend serviced our car routinely, so there were none!
I should think that you in the car alone would also attract attention.
johpal
Grafter

From the Highway Code:
Vehicles. Any vehicle driven by a learner MUST display red L plates. In Wales, either red D plates, red L plates, or both, can be used. Plates MUST conform to legal specifications and MUST be clearly visible to others from in front of the vehicle and from behind. Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).
[Law MV(DL)R reg 16 & sched 4]

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069868
Community Veteran

Question answered then, thank you. I think I will order some magnetic plates online then as the plates I bought are the lick and stick reversable ones (with the R on the back for here in NI) and I don't fancy doing all that licking!
Fixes: 125

I got a couple of the magnetic plates for when I take my wife out for extra lessons.
So easy to install/remove - I got them from Halfords but can't remember the price.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

£6.49 Just checked online. We have a halfords locally so I might just reserve a set now.
johpal
Grafter

Community Veteran

I will charge them to my sister along with the extra £80 on my insurance and the extra petrol for driving 25 miles to Belfast this evening in fourth gear  Grin