cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L.B.W. or L.O.G. system

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

L.B.W. or L.O.G. system

Depending on my mood, I have two distinct styles of driving..... (apart from my standard "boy racer").....
so, here is the situation... and how do you cope with it....
driving along a main route into (or out of)  town  (depending on time of day)..... you are in a continuous stream of traffic, that is generally slower moving than normal.... usually caused by over long waiting times at several traffic lights along the way, when traffic just seems to "back up" and never really reaches the statutory maximum for the area (usually 30mph,.... but in some places 20mph)... being observant, you notice that traffic is also waiting to join, or cross from side roads, and you can sense the "frustration" of the driver, waiting for a suitable gap..
do you drive on the L.O.G.system........ Let One Go.....
or do you drive on the L.B.W. system..... Let the Bugger Wait....  ?
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: L.B.W. or L.O.G. system

I vary. Mostly I'll let someone out, but if they seem "pushy", I'll let them wait.  There's also a doctors' surgery along a route I use, and I know that loads of people go down a back lane and through the doctors' car park to cut the corner and try to jump the queue.  So I make it a point to never let anyone turn right out of the car park (i.e. crossing the carriageway), unless they're in nurses uniform.
The doctor's know that this happens, and have tried to prevent it (with a barrier and lock for example), but the locks get broken as quickly as they replace them, so they've given up.  Angry
I often feel really bad, not letting someone out, because they might be a legitimate patient, or even a doctor, but I've seen too many people turn right behind me in the queue, and then a minute later push out ahead through the car park.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

L.O.G - usually - except sometimes L.T.G Let two go
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Oldjim
except sometimes L.T.G Let two go

Now that is kind of you...!...
( I often deliberately drive slowly and leave a long gap between me and the guy in front, so others can join in, much to the annoyance of the guy behind... !... but hey... it is only a "nano second" in your journey time, and eases the frustration, so lessening traffic "incidents"...!)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some place have road signs LOG  Jersey, Bury st Edmunds, Truro
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Tregolis Road Truro
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

They are very common but not really what we are discussing
nadger
Rising Star

I clicked on this thinking it was a cricket thread  Crazy
I tend to be fairly courteous these days and let people out when I actually have right of way - guess it's age  Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

fairly lucky around here, most barge in places have been closed by the council, but this one for some reason, no signage is present, but the trafic always waits with a gap around the parked cars for the traffic coming off the main road (cars parked on right)
Fixes: 124

I always LOG.
My thought is that if everyone LOG then traffic would probably move more freely as less people will try to push in. Plus I feel better for doing it and so does the other driver. Like oldjim, I occassionally LTG - but I need to be in a really good mood  Cheesy
Why oh why do people enter roundabouts to go right (or straight on in the right-hand lane) when they clearly cannot do so at that point and end up blocking the way for others leading to more hold-ups?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

LOG.. but i'll only let one out. The next car is down to the driver behind me.
Most traffic jams in town centres are normally down to one point which is badly designed to force traffic to queue.
An example is a shopping centre car park I know, you come off the ring road and onto a mini roundabout where you have to u-turn to get into it. When the car park is full, people queue all across the mini roundabout, up the road onto the main roundabout which comes to a halt and then the entire thing seizes up - until one more car can get into the car park. The entire centre then gridlocks and until one more car can get into the car park nothing moves.
All it takes is someone to go and get the traffic moving to another car park and suddenly it all starts moving again. Local councils and the police can't be bothered though. The councils don't want their parking staff wasting time when they could be issuing tickets elsewhere and the police are probably busy with doughnuts.
I've seen it time and time again. It's quite logical but you'd be surprised how many people don't realise this: At the front of the traffic jam there is always a bottleneck which needs breaking up.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
I clicked on this thinking it was a cricket thread  Crazy

ditto,
mostly  LOG
Various county road departments are doing away with Bus Stop Lay-bys. When a bus pulls into a lay-by, if there is a stream of traffic the bus cannot immediately rejoin the main stream of traffic because many drivers won't LOG a bus.
By doing away with lay-bys, the bus stops, takes on passengers (holding the cars up behind), then has a clear run on the road ahead.

There are other reasons for dispencing with lay-bys for bus stops, for any one interested page 56 of pdf
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/accessibile_bus_stop_design_guidance.pdf
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You should try being the driver of a bus or coach (or any large vehicle for that matter) trying to get out of a side road into traffic. Nobody but nobody wants to let you out until you start to creep into a position where you leave no choice to approaching cars who reluctantly let you out.
However I'm generally a LOG, leave gaps at side roads when stationary in traffic, which automatically allows traffic out or traffic approaching to turn right across in front of you, which usually gets a satisfying wave of thanks.
Some of the rudest ill mannered drivers I find are local beat Police patrol drivers. Not the traffic guy's they're either usually polite or looking for an excuse to get behind you.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they dont get a chance here, they have been given small Smart cars
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
Some of the rudest ill mannered drivers I find are local beat Police patrol drivers. Not the traffic guy's they're either usually polite or looking for an excuse to get behind you.

You saying that I had a plod car try to blind me yesterday with his fog lights on... and despite being foggy visibility was 100m+ easily. What a hypocritical idiot. Been tugged by a traffic plod once who tried to give me a hard time once for no insurance - only thing was the car had just been bought and the insurance setup earlier in the day so it wasn't on MID and I pretty much convinced him too. He took my details (and checked them) and let me go saying he'd be in touch if need be. Needless to say when I started asking for my receipt and bumper sticker for being 'tugged by the fuzz' he just wanted rid of me even faster  Wink  Cheesy  Grin  Cool
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!