cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kudos to Amazon

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Kudos to Amazon

After my hassles with Argos, I ordered 2x2M ethernet cables from Amazon (£1.06/ea inc del.), but what arrived was 2x3M cables.

OK now 3M ones are more expensive but they are just to go behind the tv, so extra cable is a PITA there.

So went to open a return on the Amazon web site, only to be told they were not eligible for return ([-Censored-]?)

Opened a chat and the rep agreed to get the company to send me replacements and a return bag (after offering me a refund).

Just a pity it will be next year before I get them (probably)

22 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 29

Re: Kudos to Amazon

Amazon are great with this kind of thing, always know I'm covered if anything goes wrong.

Also depending on how many you need, you can make ethernet cables really easily(it takes 5 minutes to learn how) and you can make them to your required length, keep a reel handy and you'll never have to order small cables again Cheesy

Paul Tarr
 Plusnet Network Operations
Community Veteran

I've just bought a tool, and have some shells coming from CH, already had a long reel of cable that I found being dumped (cat 5e), so next time I can make my own.
Tool was only £2.59 from Amazon as well, actually a lot cheaper than direct from CH.

Last time I had this hassle was when I wanted some tails (12" cables) and they sent me 1M ones! ('cause they didn't have any 12" ones in stock, I only wanted short ones to connect a splitter to my switch).
Fixes: 47

Ideally if you are making up your own ethernet cables you need a tester, available on Amazon quite cheaply.

I've made up a great many ranging from a few inches to over 100 metres and most of the time they pass the test.

But just occasionally 1 core wire will bend instead of going in straight to the end of the plug to be crimped which means cutting off and remaking.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I carry a crimper, RJ45 ends, coloured boots and a cable tester with me everywhere, never know when they'll come in handy, I do however find myself making tiny pointless cables when I'm waiting for other things though Shocked 

Paul Tarr
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Me thinks you need a holiday @Darkfire Grin

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Are you offering to pay for it? Wink 

After 4PM I'm off til Wednesday and I will not be doing anything that requires any level of thinking during that time

Paul Tarr
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Gone are the days when I used to wire up those damn SCART plugs. What a hassle they were!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.

I used to carry a snake around in my pocket and a camera went with me wherever I travelled.

However if I am feeling excessively calm I make up a few cat 6 cables to bring my stress levels up to normal....with the tester suitably concealed.

Community Veteran

I already have a network cable tester, very useful when trying to find out what is wrong with a cable.
Seller has responded, first to tell me to return them for a refund, then to say keep them and they will send replacements.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Darkfire wrote:

I carry a crimper, RJ45 ends, coloured boots and a cable tester with me everywhere

What about...

In the bath?

On the toilet?

Walking the dog?

in bed with the missus?

round the supermarket?

Can't wait for the reply to that lot!!!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 114

He did say everywhere....
I've joined the Plusnet Help Team as of May 2017. As such, I have a new forum account. Please direct any queries to @Gandalf. Thanks

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Support
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

7up wrote:

Can't wait for the reply to that lot!!!

Do you really want a reply to that lot?!

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran

OK the new cables arrived today (good on the PO).

BUT they sent 1x3M and 1x2M I am going to give up at this point as I only needed the one 2M the other for a spare.

When the cable shells arrive I will cut two of the 3M ones into 1/1.5/2M ones.

Just out of curiosity...

HairyMcbiker wrote:
When the cable shells arrive

I was puzzled by the reference to 'shells' so I Googled it.

I have never come across one of these before and I've done a lot of ethernet cable work.

Rugged Ethernet.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EtherCON-Rugged-Cable-Ethernet-System/dp/B00V4TKG50