cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knowing you're old

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Knowing you're old

I was watching the Ipcress Files on Channel 5 last night. Watching Michael Caine putting 3d into a Button A and B public phone reminded me just how much life has changed since I was a boy.  I wonder if kids of today would realise he was making a phone call if they did see the phone handset.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Knowing you're old

I was watching an Ashens video this morning with him looking through an Ellsidons catalogue, and in the comments there was someone asking what was up (not the way they phrased it) with all the "weird prices" like 1'9, 1'- and 10d, I'm too young to have ever used the old Pounds, Shillings & Pence system, but at least I know what they were... Funny

Community Veteran

On the flip side, technologies such as Robotic Telepresence make me feel glad I've now (just about) retired from the modern and future work environment.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

As I have always been into electronics and radio, I have my own electronics workshop and shack, but not used so much these days. I always kept lots of junk electronics simply for a cheap ready supply of parts. I have recently being clearing out some of that now surplus junk. It includes dot matrix printers, analogue mobile phones, analogue CRT TV's, home payphone for 1/- and 2/- pieces, lots of test gear I built myself, because I couldn't afford or even find the equipment ready built, lots of old computers, floppy + CD drives.

It certainly makes you think about how much things have changed over the decades.

Fixes: 47

I used to build stuff out of transistors, resistors, capacitors and veroboard etc.

Then moved on to IC chips.

Now I can buy a full on portable radio for the price of a couple of transistors.

Have the fun days gone Sad

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Have the fun days gone Sad

Almost entirely. I home built my own first and rather large computer, beginning in the mid 1970's. There was a lot of learning and satisfaction to be had from building something from scratch, then the fault finding, followed by the magnificent glow of it working at last. The HeathKits were a delight to put together too. I built their nixie digital clock. Numerous trips down to London to source parts for my little 'modern' projects, which were simply not available up here in Yorkshire.

The Heathkit clock was bought on the rebound, as soon as it came out in the UK, after spending months trying to build a mechanical version of a nixie clock in my youth.

Fun days indeed! 

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Wonder when  and if we do a brexit, we will go back to  stones, lb`s & oz`s, and ft & inches (wishful thinking), like most of my generation got caught up in the change over, still have to visualise  a yard + 3 inch  (approx) when a metre is mentioned.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

knowing you`re old !... when I think about listening to Radio Moscow, on phones in my bed, on a crystal set,.... and later building crystal sets and winding the different coils... then later still moving on to valve radio building, and modyfing valve t.v`s to receive DX TV from France and Belguim

Putting all that in real context... without the crystal set and subsequent advances in electronics, man would not have gone to the moon, and we would not be sitting at home, being able to access millions of sites from all around the world with just a few clicks on a keyboard..

and.. yeah... I still measure things in inches, feet, yards, etc... and can easily work out how much stuff costs in Pounds shillings and pence... Now, THAT makes you feel old, when you compare what you get for your money in £ s d...

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

You know that you are old when you have to use both hands to brush your teeth!

Remember, He who hesitates is last.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

You know you're really old when the B&Q shelf stacker looks young.

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

I was going to say you know you're old when the police start looking like little kids.

But that's a trend that started years ago.

Minivanman
Hero

Well the old saying about police officers looking younger? I went passed that years ago, overtook politicians. and now it's a case of high court judges looking wet behind the ears!

Also being careful when you cough, but that would be to much information Wink 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You know you`re old.... when.......

Father Christmas doesn`t bring you what you asked for in your letter to him.....Cry

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@harrym1byt

I Remember the Heathkit catalogue and purchasing a number of items. They were good quality and the instructions were clear I got as much pleasure out of building them as using them.

Having spent a number of years as a radio ham my shed in the back garden was full of bits and pieces of electronic stuff usually picked up at radio rallies, amazing the things that some people built out of bits and pieces.

Hard to know which I have most of amongst all the bits electronic stuff or mechanical stuff for cars, great fun in the past but the interesting thing is that I cannot throw anything out even though I will never use it again, perhaps it's a link to the past.

I honestly feel sorry for young children these days who will never be able to experience the pleasure and increased knowledge that I got from these things...even my first push bike was built from swapping or buying stuff from my mates....happy days.

Minivanman
Hero

You are old , Father Christmas is on Facebook these days!

Letters, what are those? Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.