cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Know the Highway code or dont Park

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Know the Highway code or dont Park

Parking near dropped kerbs is illegal http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7809206.stm
48 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Know the Highway code or dont Park

I wonder what happens if you park your own car (or permit someone else to) across your own entrance....... Undecided
We quite often have cars (ours and visitors) or tradesmens vans parked across the end of our driveway when it's full.
The idea sounds sensible, but I wonder how much the detail has been thought through (it probably has, but just not been reported).
In law I also wonder who "owns" or "has rights" in relation to a dropped kerb. I know we had a small secondary one put in a few years back and had to get permission from the council (as traffic authority?) and pay a substantial fee - even though we did it when they were totally relaying all the kerbs and pavements so it cost nothing.
(what really irked was that we had nice small granite hand-cut kerbstones and they took them all out on a flimsy excuse to use elsewhere and we got grotty concrete ones in return)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

must do some digging about this
But Councillor David Sparks, chairman of the Local Government Association's regeneration and transport board, said: "The vast majority of motorists, including myself, do not park opposite or adjacent to dropped kerbs.
Community Veteran

Bit more digging http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=7310
The new legislation refers to two different types of dropped kerbs:
   1. The enforcement of a dropped kerb where a vehicle is obstructing pedestrian access.
   2. The enforcement of a single occupancy driveway for residential premises.
      However, in respect of single occupancy driveways, enforcement action can only be instigated at the request of the occupier of the premises.
Update - from the Act http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/ukpga_20040018_en_9
86 Prohibition of parking at dropped footways etc.
<snip>
(3) The second exception is where the vehicle is parked outside residential premises by or with the consent (but not consent given for reward) of the occupier of the premises.
This exception does not apply in the case of a shared driveway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

DOn`t think I ever read the highway code that deeply !.  Embarrassed  but I have always "understood" that, apart from being damn inconvenient for the person or business whose access is over the dropped curb, one should not park there.... I did not "specifically know" that it was illegal....I just "assumed" it was  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

That is because outside London it wasn't until this part of the Traffic Management Act 2004 came intro effect this month
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re reading the Highway code, I recently had  a row with a council member, re walking on roads.  Our local council organises "health" walks of two different standards each week, short  45 min walk to get the heart working and longer 5 - 10 mile ones.
Any way went on a medium walk that went down a country road, no footpath, and they walked on the LH side of the road, I had always been taught walk to face the oncoming traffic.  Had a moan at the council and was pointed to Highway code, bit unfortunate but the subject went over several pages, most of it said as I thought face the oncoming traffic.  Right at the end (Over the page) was on organised walks with more than about seven people, Walk on the left with a warden at the back !!!!!!  Cry
I have a collection of old and new Highway codes, went back about five copies and it was still in it  Angry
Community Veteran

How often does the average driver buy a copy of the latest Highway code, and read it ?.
Very few I guess.
I think mine is about 2 years old so not too bad - I happened to be buying a copy for someone learning to drive, and thought I ought to buy one for myself.
Have I read it - well some of it...............
Maybe it should be part of the little room library  Smiley
Community Veteran

As I often lead walks with 20 plus people partly on country roads we use our common sense and walk where the drivers can see us easiest.
This usually means that we walk on the outside of bends. Other than that we do tend to walk facing the oncoming traffic except on a narrow (quiet) country lanes where we spread all over the road.  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if Shutter goes to a decent book shop, he can get hold of a copy of the origingal highway code, looks like it was printed during the war, but just republished.  Also you dont have to buy one it is on line http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070202
pierre_pierre
Grafter

rule 2
If there is no pavement keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and
    * be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
    * keep close to the side of the road
It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

rule 5
Organised walks. Large groups of people walking together should use a pavement if available; if one is not, they should keep to the left. Look-outs should be positioned at the front and back of the group, and they should wear fluorescent clothes in daylight and reflective clothes in the dark. At night, the look-out in front should show a white light and the one at the back a red light. People on the outside of large groups should also carry lights and wear reflective clothing.
Community Veteran

and they should wear fluorescent clothes in daylight
Dayglo ramblers - no chance
Community Veteran

Ok. then So I went out and got a copy of some road signs   Shocked Roll eyes
http://fonzation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/road%20signs.jpg ;     Grin Grin Grin

Of course,..... this one was designed by a woman driver.......
http://www.automaticdrivinglessonsbristol.co.uk/faq/faq.htm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a) your first link dosnt work, think you have got spaces after the jpg
b), if you want a new copy of the code it will cost you the princely sum of £2.50
Community Veteran

I`ll have another go then !   Sad
try this
http://fonzation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/road%20signs.jpg

works for me now  ....  Cheesy    thanks pierre  Wink