Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knee problems

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Knee problems

@ itsme, This is true, when first advised that the only solution to my "worn-out" knees was for replacement. I was further advised that the life I could expect for the replacement was in the order of fourteen years but more likely ten or twelve depending how much pressure I put them under. Knees unlike hips at this stage of the science cannot be done successfully a second time as so much of the existing bone surrounding the knee joints has to be removed to form an adequate mounting.
At 64 then I fancied a few more years than that, so elected to "put-up" with the discomfort. By then other events in my life put a stop to any ideas of knee replacement for the foreseeable future.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@sprite, if there are two people in this country who can be assured of the highest degrees of medical science, it must be HMQ and Prince Phillip.
I don't in any way begrudge them that.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Artificial joints do have a limited life.  My surgeon told me the type of replacement he gave me should last up to 15 years. This allowed for my activities on the tennis court  and me slowing down a bit during that time and not putting so much stress on my joints.
Hips can also be replaced earlier in life than knees.  I know 40 year-olds who have had replacements.  The difference is that they receive a re-surfacing rather than a total replacement. This make it easier to do a full hip replacement later in life.
Another consideration is the material used for the replacement and the size of the ball joint used.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Petlew
I don't in any way begrudge them that.

I think you misunderstand me. I don't begrudge them that I was merely making a point that even with the best of medical care, Prince Phillip isn't of perfect health and it's gradually failing. That was in response to itsme.
Quote from: artmo
My surgeon told me the type of replacement he gave me should last up to 15 years. This allowed for my activities on the tennis court

Shocked You're brave!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nozzer

Where did it hurt most? If it's on the outside of the knee joint it's probably a damaged meniscus between the lower leg bone and the knee platform. If it's anywhere else it could be arthritis. The former needs attention, the latter is advancing years, as they say.

Hurts most on both sides of the knee but the swelling is above the knee, having searched the internet is sounds very much like a damaged meniscus. What I should have done was to apply a cold compress asap as this would have been most effective within the first 48 hour period.
I Can put my full weight on it without little pain but if I twist my leg slightly one way or the other it's fairly painful, only way I can get to sleep is on my back as sleeping on either side causes the pain, all this seems to point to a damaged meniscus. Will be paying the GP a visit if it hasn't eased over the next week or so.
Thanks for all the responses, looking at what's happened to others I have been very fortunate.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, if I were you I wouldn't leave it before visiting my GP and asking for an MRI.  If your GP wants you to see a knee surgeon this could be another week or maybe two so it's all adding to your problem. Good luck.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'd be tempted to by-pass your GP and visit your nearest MIU (Not A&E), they will normally give you a same day referral if they think it necessary.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

With the changes in funding (ex PCT ---> CCG's) where the GP's hold the purse strings, all referrals have to go through the GP unless the knee problem is a recent injury. So going to a Minor Injuries Unit may not give you the referral suggested.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Neither will you be able to use choose and book to be able to select a hospital of your choice. It's always important IMO to be able to choose the hospital and also the surgeon.  This will mean you need to do a bit of internet research but it's worth it.
Highlighted
Grafter

I have had a problem knee ever since i injured it jumping off a high wall in my late teens, after that it has always been weak,  it has since been dislocated , and some 25-30yrs on it now will lock up randomly when going from standing to sitting and vice versa and whilst walking ,I don't take pain killers as ibuprofen isn't good for you in the long term , fortunately for me although when it locks on me the pain is excruciating it soon fades, the last thing i want is a knee replacement or operation
Highlighted
Community Veteran

If a knee op can give you a better quality of life it seems the thing to do surely Undecided
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Some people have suggested a knee support made from some synthetic material or a crepe bandage and this would seem a good idea but wonder if this means it would take longer for the knee to heal.
Fairly certain that the GP would suggest Ibufrofen or something similar and advise me to come back in a few weeks if things had not improved, unfortunately (or fortunately) whichever way you look at it I will shortly be abroad for a few weeks so would not be able to get back to the GP for a follow up. So have decided to take a gamble and hope things improve, if not then I may have to seek treatment whilst abroad.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Remember pre-existing conditions won't be covered by your EHIC or private insurance.  I would attempt to get to see your GP before you go.  If you ask him for an MRI at least he can start to process it whilst you are away which will mean less waiting when you return.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: deathtrap
.......... the last thing i want is a knee replacement or operation.

Why is that deathtrap?
Please see (my) reply#1.
Geoff,
York.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Ibuprofen taken regularly or in excess is not a good idea, nor is any painkiller tablet for that matter, even aspirin in excess can cause stomach bleeding. If you plan to take painkillers long term (on medical advice) ensure you are prescribed or purchase the enteric coated variety these provide some protection to the stomach lining. Its not stomach problems that bother me though as I don't take enough of ibuprofen to be a serious worry (2 once a day when required but never two days running, Nurofen tell you not to exceed 8 in 24 hours, under no circumstances would I ever take that many) But its the "reluctant" bowel that accompanies most painkillers that is most uncomfortable I find.