Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kiva Charity Loans

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Kiva Charity Loans

Do any of you donate to Charity Microsites?  I've been donating ~$25 a month-ish via Kiva for a while.  Means you're passing a small amount on to someone eho needs it to get their business going. 
I created a team for any Plusnet employees/customers to use if they wanted to: Team Plusnet
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Kiva Charity Loans

Hmmm reading more into the small print, the field operatives are the ones who disperse the loans and can set their own interest rates (which they keep themselves).
In 2010 (according to Wikipedia) the average interest rate was 35% which I feel is rather too high for the market they are lending to.
I'd be happy to lend direct for a 5-10% return but some field ops are apparently getting an 80% return on the money we would lend.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There are always some greedy people, who think it a good scheme..... then go and ruin it, by being greedy... because... they can... i.e. no scrutineering, and no proper control over the interest rates....
I DEFINITELY WILL NOT be joining this scheme charity
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You can select the loan by the partner and their details, so you can be discerning:  http://www.kiva.org/partners/80
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: shutter
There are always some greedy people, who think it a good scheme..... then go and ruin it, by being greedy... because... they can... i.e. no scrutineering, and no proper control over the interest rates....
I DEFINITELY WILL NOT be joining this scheme charity

Don't knock Kiva...  They score pretty highly overall: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12978 ;
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kelly
You can select the loan by the partner and their details,

That's a bit more reassuring Smiley
Devonian
Grafter

Charity starts at home, we have more than our fair share of homeless/unemployed families that just need a little help to get out the gutter.
TORPC
Grafter

Isn't that what the foreign aid is raised for ?Huh
Community Veteran

These are loans, not handouts.
In theory you will get back the money you lend (as long as the person loaned it repays it). The money is lent to people often in poverty to get them out of a situation or help them set up a small business etc - the money is then repaid to the lender and often re-lent.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah, it's not donations.  It's usually people running businesses who can't otherwise get support to improve their businesses.  The money gets paid back to you and then you can relend it to someone else.
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: Devonian
we have more than our fair share of homeless/unemployed families that just need a little help.

Sod Palestine, help BRITISH families first.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I also donate into Zopa as well which is the UK equivalent. Tongue